Partial Refund of Hostel Fees & Fee Reduction
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
In view of the current situation in the country over the COVID-19 pandemic, we the students of SRM University request the University to take the following steps :
1. Partial Refund of Hostel Fees : - Since we had to vacate the hostels by 19th March 2020 , we haven't been using the amenities like mess,hostel,electricity,etc. Therefore, partial refund of hostel fees must be given to all hostelers from the closing date (19th March) till the date of reopening of college.
2. Academic Year Fees Reduction : - In these times of crisis, the financial conditions of a majority of students is unstable. Most of the families are living off savings due to the shutdown of businesses and companies in the country. Some of us have already taken education loans to pay fees .We understand that money is needed to pay salaries of the teachers and staff. But the college is saving loads of money that would have been spent on electricity, labs, classrooms & buildings, library, seminars ,workshops ,etc. Also no event of mass gathering that used to be conducted directly or indirectly through the institution's funds would be conducted this academic year. Thus the institute is should:
- Accept only 50% of tuition fees and all other amenities fee should be waived off.
- Students who have already paid the full amount must be given a refund.
- Extend the time for submission of fees.
- The salary of teachers and staff members should not be affected/ changed to their disadvantage .
3. Semester Exams : - The institute is requested to follow the UGC guidelines of April 2020 for grading students in their intermediate semesters as the students haven't completed the entire syllabus and lab sessions properly and the online classes were not successful as there were many connectivity issues either on the student or teacher's side, the extent of interaction was poor and most of the students have had trouble in understanding what was being taught. Many of the students in rural areas and towns where internet connectivity was poor failed to join most of the online classes.
We also request the management of the institute to inform to students regarding the semester exams atleast 1 month before the planned schedule.
4. Online Classes , Tests : - The management is requested to chalk out a stress free schedule for online classes & tests for students.
- The number of tests and assignments should be fixed and should not be left to will and wishes of the teacher. Teachers had overburdened students with multiple assignments and tests for different subjects earlier and this has been very stressful.
- The quality of online classes has been poor so far and the topics discussed in the online lectures remain unclear to most of the students. Please improve quality of online and video lectures.
- We expect teachers to be a bit more understanding - there have been instances where students from areas greatly affected by Amphan cyclone were pressurised by teachers,project guides to submit their projects failing which they'd deduct their marks.
5. Re-opening : - Due to extension of lockdown SRM has changed their opening dates many times. This had forced many of us took book tickets at a short notice and later we had to cancel them whenever the dates were changed. This has caused a lot of inconvenience to us . Therefore, considering the current situation we ask the institute to reconsider the reopening dates keeping students' safety in mind and notify us atleast 1 month before the stipulated reopening date.
We hope that the institute will understand the situation and accept our requests. Looking forward to a positive response without any protest.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!