STOP A 20 STOREY LUXURY TOWER IN PECKHAM!
This petition had 4,927 supporters
Morrisons and the Aylesham Centre in the heart Peckham are due to be knocked down. A private developer called Tiger Developments is going to build a new Morrisons, shops and much needed homes in its place.
Unfortunately, there is also a 20 storey luxury tower planned!
Local people have spoken to over one thousand other residents that live and work in the area about the changes Peckham needs. Once told about it, a vast majority did not want a tower to be built. Many gave the following reasons:
- A tower is entirely wrong for the centre of Peckham – a neighbourhood where almost all our buildings are low or medium height. People in Peckham do not want Peckham to become like Elephant & Castle or Lewisham!
- People are concerned about £1million+ apartments towering over the people of Peckham and making the streets below dark and windy.
- A luxury tower would become a symbol of the area’s gentrification, and harm social integration for years to come.
- Many views would be ruined, including those from the Multi Storey Car Park, Frank’s Café and the Bussey building. The tower would also dwarf the Jones & Higgins clocktower, a local landmark.
- Given the tragedy at Grenfell – and at Lakanal House in 2009 – people are concerned about another tall building being built in the area.
WE NEED YOUR TO HELP STOP THIS TOWER – PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION!
We have held meetings, run workshops and canvassed along Rye Lane to develop a 'Citizens Charter' for what some people in Peckham want on the Aylesham site. Instead of a tower, we are asking for:
1. 35-50% genuinely and permanently affordable homes, priced according to local incomes, including social rent and community land trust homes.
2. 1 in 3 jobs for local people at all levels of seniority and everyone to be paid at least a London Living Wage.
3. An open, street-based design that reinforces the existing culture, economy and built environment, celebrating Peckham as it already exists and with no building more than 9 stories tall.
4. A commitment to meaningful community engagement with residents, traders and community organisations, including a key role in deciding how any funds are allocated.
We hope you will sign our petition and help make this change to our neighbourhood work for all that live here!
Today: Calum is counting on you
Calum Green needs your help with “Southwark Council - STOP A 20 STOREY LUXURY TOWER IN PECKHAM!”. Join Calum and 4,926 supporters today.