South Korea: Stop Animal Abuse in South Korea
Open letter to the South Korean Government:
We, the undersigned individuals urge you and your government to put an end to the cruelty and suffering of dogs and cats in your country, South Korea.
We know that all over the country, animals destined for human consumption are mistreated and tortured before they are sold as human food. We also know that the animal welfare currently does not exist in your country.
In your country of South Korea the statements below describe the normal life of millions of dogs and cats:
- They are captured or stolen, sometimes beaten on the street before being transported under brutal conditions to the markets or farms.
- The farms could hold as many as 50 to several thousand living dogs and cats.
- The animals are held cramped in rows of tiny wire or bamboo cages.
- When a dog is selected for sale, the animal is removed from the cages with metal tongs around the necks and carried by their hands and legs.
- The slaughter men often stun them with repeated blows to the head using clubs, or by swinging them by their hands and beating their heads to the ground.
- Even after five to ten minutes of these torture, these animals were still breathing, had a heartbeat, and continued moving and blinking.
- The headline states that: "Meat from tortured dogs taste best. Come and buy!"
- The slaughterhouses are saying "Enjoy your meal!" while the rest of the world is ready to vomit.
We would like to point out that a civilized country such as we are sure South Korea wants to be known, the behavior of its human inhabitants towards its local animals, stray, wild or otherwise, it is simply intolerable. If Korea wants to assume its rightful place among the leading nations of the world and make its ancestors proud, please ensure through proper legislation and enforcement that all living creatures are to be respected.
Furthermore, since animal welfare is an increasingly popular concept, I would also like to let you know that the national South Korean income from tourism will suffer as tourists who have become disgusted with seeing tortured animals stay home and tell their relatives, friends and the social internet what they have seen. Therefore, even economically speaking it would be shortsighted to let this awful situation endure. Unless of course, you want to be ruled by those monsters who in the backyards abuse, slaughter and sell the poor dogs! It is up to you Sir and Madam in Korea!
Lastly, it is our civil duty to warn you that there is a well investigated and published link between animal abuse and for example child molestation, which makes the need for proper legislation and enforcement even more urgent. Consider also the educational effect on a child when it sees adults around them slaughtering animals in a disrespectful and horrific manner. Will that child grow up to respect life itself? For its fellow Koreans? We fear not!
The Korean government is very responsible for the continuing cruelty and abuse of Korean animals. As long as the consumption of companion animals continues, so does cruelty to animals. Therefore we urgently and politely request that you initiate legislative action as soon as possible, in the interest of the animals and the Korean population as a whole.
For more info:
Today: Norbert is counting on you
Norbert Zawe needs your help with “South Korea: Stop Animal Abuse in South Korea”. Join Norbert and 9,584 supporters today.