In November 2010, LaPorte, Indiana native Lindsey O’Brien Kesling got her wings at the young age of 22. Her tragic death resulted from accidental exposure to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide (CO) in the Scottsdale, Arizona apartment where she lived. Lindsey's loved ones were devastated by the loss of their daughter, sister and friend...especially since her death may have been prevented had there been a carbon monoxide detector in her apartment.

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, CO poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning in the United States. Nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of CO exposure is in the home, yet 90% of American homes do not meet the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) recommendation for number of CO alarms, including 40 percent that report having zero working carbon monoxide alarms.

Help us by asking that state legislators in Arizona and Indiana join the numerous states that have passed legislation requiring CO alarms in residential homes and other types of dwellings, including Alaska, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION! Each time someone signs our petition, a respectful email will be sent to decision making state representatives and senators in Arizona and Indiana asking them to mandate CO detectors in homes and multi-family buildings! And after you have signed, please SHARE our petition with your family and friends!

Lindsey’s family and friends transformed their grief into something new and beautiful: The Lindsey O’Brien Kesling (LOK) Wishing Tree Foundation. The LOK Wishing Tree Foundation is dedicated to honoring the fullness of Lindsey’s short life by advocating for CO prevention and awareness AND by supporting her passions: children, love/laughter, and the performing arts. You can visit our website here: www.lokwishingtreefoundation.org

Letter to
Senate District 8, LaPorte Senator James Arnold
Chair, Indiana Senate Commerce Committee Senator James Buck
Chair, Indiana House Commerce Committee Representative Mark Messmer
and 6 others
Vice Chair, Indiana House Commerce Committee Representative Benjamin Smaltz
Chair, Arizona House Commerce Committee Representative Thomas Forese
Vice Chair, Arizona House Commerce Committee Representative T.J. Shope
Chair, Arizona Senate Commerce Committee Senator Al Melvin
Vice Chair, Arizona Senate Commerce Committee Senator Michele Reagan
District 20, LaPorte Representative Tom Dermody (District 20, LaPorte)
In November 2010, LaPorte, Indiana native Lindsey O’Brien Kesling got her wings at the young age of 22. Her tragic death resulted from accidental exposure to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide (CO) in the Scottsdale, Arizona apartment where she lived. Lindsey's loved ones were devastated by the loss of their daughter, sister and friend...especially since her death may have been prevented had there been a carbon monoxide detector in her apartment.

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, CO poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning in the United States. Nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of CO exposure is in the home, yet 90% of American homes do not meet the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) recommendation for number of CO alarms, including 40 percent that report having zero working carbon monoxide alarms.

As a state legislator, we respectfully request that you help protect our families by introducing and supporting legislation to mandate CO detectors in homes and multi-family residential units consistent with the recommendations of the National Fire Protection Association. Please join the numerous other states that are already protecting their families, including Alaska, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia.