Say NO to Council's plans to sacrifice green lungs of Royal Borough of Windsor &Maidenhead
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
The Council is currently pursuing plans to build thousands of new houses in prime parkland, currently the site of Maidenhead Golf Course.They also plan to build on Green Belt fields to the west of Windsor, eroding the precious gap between Windsor and Maidenhead. YES, we badly need more homes, especially affordable homes. BUT, we also care about the quality of the air our children breathe. We care about nature, wildlife and green space, which make our Borough a pleasant place to live.
The Maidenhead site, about the size of 70 football pitches, is the green lung of Maidenhead, home to hundred-year old trees, bluebell woods and local wildlife. This scheme is putting too many of the wrong houses in the wrong place, and with no guarantees that any of these houses will be truly affordable.
The site to the west of Windsor (HA11) is the second largest site on Green Belt land, where 450 homes are planned, and includes two garden centres.
If you care about keeping Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead a pleasant Borough to live in, sign this petition addressed to Cllr Coppinger as the Council’s Lead Member for Planning and also share with friends and neighbours on social media.
These sites are the largest of several schemes to build thousands of new homes in Windsor & Maidenhead. The Council plans will destroy the site, swapping grass for tarmac and trees for roof tiles. They have no care for the impact on the wildlife, and no convincing plans to deal with the thousands of additional cars, the diesel fumes and mid-week traffic jams that will bring parts of Maidenhead & Windsor to a standstill.
We are calling upon the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead to think again. We are in favour of new housing, we just want the Council to reconsider the Plan of what type of homes and where they should go. Did you know:
- The Council is pressing ahead with its plans, before the proposal Local Plan has even been reviewed by an Examiner?
- The Council has approved spending £20m of our money trying to bring forward their plans – buying up homes and land to create access for the scheme?
We do desperately need more homes – more affordable homes; But we doubt that these schemes will deliver these affordable homes. Click here to see why: https://youtu.be/wdp2WAZWjZQ
- Some recent publicity stating that that the two garden centres in Windsor (on HA11) no longer form part of the Borough Local Plan are incorrect. In fact the two garden centres will remain in the Local Plan, will be removed from the Green Belt and will remain allocated for development.
- This parkland was entrusted to the Borough for the benefit of the people of Maidenhead for sports and leisure activities. How does the idea of 2000 homes with the accompanying traffic jams and GP waiting lists represent a “benefit”?
- Areas around Maidenhead and Windsor already suffer from poor air quality – this is the air that we and our children breathe. Asthma and other breathing conditions can only get worse if we sacrifice our Green Belt and mature trees.
- The parkland at the golf course an the HA11 are just two of many Green Belt sites set to go and other Green Belt sites will be similarly blighted if the local plan proceeds in its current form. Why did the Borough not do what the government suggests and carry out a full Green Belt review that may have identified better alternative sites?
- And why was the option of creating a new settlement with its own tailor made infrastructure, favoured by many local Councils, never given serious consideration?
Please sign this petition to say NO to the Royal Borough’s decision to promote development of this scale on Windsor & Maidenhead’s Green Belt. Show Councillors, elected to serve us, that riding roughshod over our views is not the way things should be done.
RRAG is Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Residents Action Group
Please register via our website so we can keep you updated on what is happening to our Borough
Today: RBWM Residents Action is counting on you
RBWM Residents Action Group needs your help with “Say NO to the Council's plans to sacrifice the green lungs of Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead”. Join RBWM Residents Action and 2,961 supporters today.