Say "NO" to Boral's LARGEST quarry in Australia - the Gold Coast is NOT a mining town! The people of the Gold Coast did not vote for a quarry!
This petition made change with 2,500 supporters!
Boral expects Gold Coast residents, the ratepayers, the people who live, work, play and truly love our spectacular city to approve their LARGEST ever (540 acre) MONSTER quarry. Well we say "NO".
Peppertree is Boral's newest quarry. It will be the main supplier of gravel to the whole of Sydney, the largest city in Australia yet Peppertree is HALF THE SIZE of the quarry Boral has planned for the Gold Coast.
- Peppertree is 175kms out of Sydney. Ours is in our city, less than 5kms up stream of the pristine, world renowned Burleigh Heads/Tallebudgera Creek.
- Peppertree Quarry is serviced by a dedicated railway. The Gold Coast quarry will depend entirely on the M1 - 240 to 300 truck movements out and then back every day, 6 days a week, 6:30am to 6pm. That is one quarry truck every 40 seconds.
- Without a new haulage road interchange system, costing approximately $90M, this Gold Coast quarry could not go ahead. Old Coach Road, Reedy Creek is notoriously dangerous, too narrow, heavily conjested and gridlocked in peak hours and simply not viable. Gold Coast tax and ratepayers will become unwilling investors in Boral's profits for absolutely no return. We, the residents, will pay the Lion's share of this interchange and haulage road upgrade and ongoing maintenance for the next 40+ years!
- Silica burdened air will pollute our atmosphere approximately 8kms from the site (under normal conditions). Add to that 200,000 extra truck movements per annum, plus major diesel industrial site equipment running 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Our GREEN city is under serious threat!
- Tallebudgera Valley is just one of the two last remaining hinterland environments that locals and tourists treasure and enjoy all year round. This mega Boral quarry does not belong here. It will be the first and last image of the Gold Coast that every visitor will see flying in or out of the Gold Coast. The GOLD COAST is NOT A MINING TOWN!
- LNP DP Seeney claims jobs. Boral's own EIS states a maximum of 24.
- LNP DP Seeney claims need. Council's own data proves the Gold Coast has enough quality gravel supply from existing and already approved quarries for the next 180+ years. The only state that needs this gravel is NSW at Qld's expense - unacceptable.
- The Coordinator General received over 4,000 individual responses from Gold Coast residents objecting to Boral's EIS - officially marginalised to just over 200. Gold Coast residents did not vote for a quarry!
- All 3 LNP memembers, including the Minister for Tourism strongly objected to this quarry and pledged to stop it. DP Seeney identified and put in writing that the planning for this quarry was, from the start, a flawed process yet he still recommended it be approved. Why? Gold Coast residents did not vote for a quarry!
- The Gold Coast City Council with a super majority voted to reject Boral's Development Application and in doing so supported the thousands of ratepayers that will derive not one single benefit from such a projecct. The reality is ... if approved this quarry, without the peoples consent would be forcably imposed on several communities causing varying levels of harm and disturbances to all residents.
On May 23, 2014 Boral's own Regional manager of Boral Quarries ACT/NSW David Bolton admitted ... "homes and quarry operations don't mix". NSW Environment Protection Authority backed Boral's claims.
The Gold Coast is a city but at its heart we are a village watching out for each other. If you feel this proposed mega, monster 540 acre quarry, within walking distance of Burleigh Beach, is a burden on our unique and beautiful city that must not be approved please support this petition and we thank you for doing whatever it takes to keep our city clean, healthy and beautiful.
Today: Stop The Gold Coast Quarry Association Inc. is counting on you
Stop The Gold Coast Quarry Association Inc. needs your help with “Say "NO" to Boral's LARGEST quarry in Australia - the Gold Coast is NOT a mining town! The people of the Gold Coast did not vote for a quarry!”. Join Stop The Gold Coast Quarry Association Inc. and 2,499 supporters today.