Save the Primates!!!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
Watts Elementary Robotics Team wants the U.S. Senate to set a federal law regulating primates in the pet trade. Some reasons that we want to do this is because:
- Humans can’t always provide the right resources like special care, housing, and diet. If primates don’t have these things, they can get sick and die.
- Sometimes primates are abandoned because of aggressive behavior that is caused by not having their needs met.
- Some primates live for over 40 years, and people can get annoyed by the animal. When the primate gets older, it also can get more aggressive.
- Newborn primates separated from their families don’t develop mentally or socially and become self-destructive.
- Primates can transmit dangerous viral diseases, such as yellow fever, monkey pox, and Ebola, to humans.
- Without training, primates can become violent to humans. They might scratch, bite, or severely injure a human.
- Currently, there are no federal laws about primates in the pet trade.
Stricter rules and regulations needed for the primates are:
- Minimum requirement of space for the species of primate
- An outdoor and indoor enclosure with vines, real plants, climbing structures, ropes, hammocks
- Mothers and babies can not be separated until certain age
- Correct temperature and humidity
- Access to appropriate food/water
- Minimum of 6 months of training and classes
- Improved inspections of primate environment
- Enrichment activities such as toys and special food items
Today: Beastmode is counting on you
Beastmode Builders needs your help with “Save the Primates!!!”. Join Beastmode and 1,189 supporters today.