Petition Closed

Save Harnett County! Stop the landfill from destroying our community!

Tell our County Commissioners, State and Federal Representatives, and our Governor that we do not want a landfill in our community. North Carolina already has over forty operational solid waste facilities in the state with decades of use left! This landfill would threaten the peaceful way of life for Harnett County residents as well as the health and safety of our families.

The sand pit located on Claude White Road is nearing depletion and the owners of the property are looking for an alternative money making venture. Without considering any other options they submitted an application to the Harnett County Board of Adjustment for a permit to operate a Municipal Solid Waste Facility on the land. The Board of Adjustment and the County Commissioners are set to review this application in mid-September. We need your help to make sure our voices are heard!

Unfortunately, Sandhills Environmental LLC has been secretly lobbying behind closed doors with local government officials to allow them to make our community a solid waste disposal. The goal of this, of course, is to make millions of dollars for the owners of the landfill, with scarcely a concern for its impact on the environment and public health.

Sign the petition today and save our community!

For more info please visit:

This petition was delivered to:
  • Governor of North Carolina
    Governor Bev Perdue
  • Senator
    Richard Burr
  • United States House of Representatives
    Congressman Howard Coble
  • United States House of Representatives
    Congresswoman Renee Ellmers
  • Harnett County Manager
    Scott Sauer
  • Harnett County Commissioners
    Harnett County Commissioners
  • North Carolina Senate
    Senator Harris Blake
  • North Carolina General Assembly
    Representative Mike Stone
  • North Carolina General Assembly
    Representative David Lewis
  • Senator
    Kay Hagan

Brynn Vollmer started this petition with a single signature, and now has 549 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.