Do not approve the trails and paths focus plan by the Recreation and Park Department.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
The SF Park Commission Rubber Stamped that funding be approved for the entire Vision Plan on November 16 despite 949 park enthusiasts signing the petition against the Trail and Path portion of the Vision Plan. We need to be active and attend the next yet to be announced Trail and Path meeting to get the changes we want.
The plan offered by RPD runs counter to what the public has called for during a year of "community driven process." Major changes need to be negotiated before we will have a plan that serves the needs of the public. We want to preserve the character of McLaren Park, keeping it wild and free. The trail network is a vital part of McLaren Park. We do not want 5 miles of trails taken away. Here are some specific issues that need to be considered.
- want the paved paths repaired and made safe. An intersection that should be included is at Cambridge and Shelly. It is dangerous and poorly designed.
- want the existing trails maintained and repaired, not closed.
- do not approve of the closure of the recently built University Hill Switchbacks and the Upper Reservoir Switchbacks. Add in erosion control techniques. There are none currently.
- do not want any areas closed so that there is no access.
- want to keep the trails narrow and winding. The trails are for enjoyment, not just getting from A to B.
- do not want money spent on trail reroutes and having to move Philosopher's Way Markers, bench or musing stations unnecessarily.
- want to keep the existing grades to most trails. Not all trails need to be easy.
- want to improve the existing trails in the Redwood Grove to bypass the main picnic/ kid's playground area.
- want to improve the trail leading down from Peace Sign Hill down towards the Blue Tower while leaving the bench where it is.
- do not want fences. They just get vandalized.
- the trees to be maintained and remove the dangerous ones.
- don't want unnecessary improvements such as a welcome center/sign. RPD can't afford the maintenance.
- want the wide trail leading down from the Upper Reservoir to the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater repaired.
- want maps of the park on the trails. Maps have been asked for since the 80s. That is why people still feel lost or overwhelmed.
Today: ALEXANDER is counting on you
ALEXANDER ALDRICH needs your help with “San Francisco Recreation and Park Commissioners: Do not approve the trails and paths focus plan by the Recreation and Park Department.”. Join ALEXANDER and 1,195 supporters today.