Support SD Councilmember Chris Ward to Support Us!
Sep 24, 2017 — San Diego City Councilmember Chris Ward, who Chairs the Council's Select Committee on Homelessness, just sent a demand to Mayor Kevin Faulconer and the head of the SD Housing Commission, Rick Gentry, to implement most of the components in our Petition IMMEDIATELY, as well as other very important emergency relief actions for our City's increasingly dire Homelessness Emergency:
"I am calling for immediate action on the following programs and services that can and should be implemented now:
• Implement Safe Camping/City-Sanctioned Camp Zones at the Qualcomm/SDCCU Stadium parking lot, 20th & B Central Operations Property, and Sports Arena/Valley View Casino Center parking lot.
• Implement Safe Parking opportunities at Qualcomm/SDCCU Stadium parking, Sports Arena/Valley View Casino, Council District 6 Properties identified by Councilmember Cate (5748 Copley Drive, Convoy Street & Copley Place, Aero Drive & I-15, 5255 Mt. Edna Drive), and at any other viable location identified.
• Install mobile shower units and additional restrooms throughout the city, most immediately at the Old Central Library, Golden Hall, and Mission Bay parking lots and increase the current capacity and reach of existing mobile shower service providers such as Think Dignity.
• Provide Bridge shelter beds for families, women and children in Golden Hall.
• Expand storage opportunities at Golden Hall and other locations identified here for the provision of homeless services.
• Increase street cleaning, handwashing stations, sanitation, and security along the San Diego River and in Balboa Park, Bankers Hill, Barrio Logan, Downtown, Hillcrest, Logan Heights, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach and other communities most impacted by homelessness."
In addition to Signing and Sharing this Petition, please Email and Call Mayor Faulconer and SDHC CEO Gentry to immediately act on Councilmember Ward's request:
Phone: (619) 236-6330
SDHC CEO Rick Gentry:
Main Number: 619.231.9400