Protect Children at San Diego Playgrounds
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
On December 11, 2018, while playing in Zone I of Liberty Station Park, my 2-year-old son was scratched by a bent, bloody hypodermic needle (actual photo above). He spent the next 6 hours in the ER at Rady Children's Hospital for an Infectious Disease consultation and will require HIV and Hepatitis C tests every six months. It's every parent's worst nightmare and it came true for us. Sadly, this was just the most recent in several documented safety issues we personally have experienced at children's playgrounds around San Diego (open fires, harassment, human feces, drug paraphernalia, encampments).
Whether you are a parent or not, please let the City Council know that we have to protect children from the CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER at playgrounds and parks in San Diego.
By signing this petition, you are supporting an ordinance for Designated Children's Play Areas at San Diego playgrounds. Playgrounds and other children’s areas will be legally designated as such. Adults not accompanied by children will not be allowed to remain in these areas.
Support for Designated Children's Play Areas
- Children need our help to keep them safe.
- Other “designated use” already exists at San Diego parks, including mixed use and passive park areas.
- There is no constitutional right to use public parks under all conditions and at all times.
- Adults unaccompanied children are not a protected class of citizen.
- It's fiscally responsible to guard the city's multi-million dollar investment in playgrounds and equipment.
- This proposed ordinance was supported almost unanimously (one abstention) on January 23, 2018 at the Pacific Beach Planning Group meeting.
- This proposed ordinance is also supported by the board members of the Pacific Beach Town Council (PBTC President: Brian White).
- Several other major U.S. cities (New York City, Miami, FL, SAN FRANCISCO) have enacted this law.
Thank you for your support of this important ordinance to protect all the children of San Diego!
Today: Sandy is counting on you
Sandy Algra needs your help with “San Diego City Council: Protect Children at San Diego Playgrounds”. Join Sandy and 2,213 supporters today.