Save our roads!
This petition had 3,256 supporters
The road network is Britain’s most valuable asset (Action For Roads report, DfT), yet we currently spend less that 1% of the asset value maintaining it. Britain’s roads are in a woeful condition, and they will get worse every year unless we act. Every year that the Government waits before acting adds yet more cost to fixing the problem. And meanwhile, we, as motorcyclists, are among the most likely to get hurt by hitting potholes. Here is what we believe should happen:
- 2p from the 57.95p that Government takes from every litre of fuel should go to preventative road maintenance. This guaranteed income of around £1billion would allow highways authorities to plan maintenance properly.
- The Government’s Code of Practice for road maintenance should be rewritten for 21st century traffic conditions and budget constraints.
- All road authorities should have a competent Asset Management Plan, forcing them to think long term about road maintenance.
By signing the MCN Save Our Roads Petition you will send out a message to the Government that it can no longer ignore the danger to motorcyclists caused by potholes and deteriorating road surfaces. So please sign and ask your friends to sign too.
Our roads: the facts
- £976 million is the amount currently allocated per year to highway maintenance yet £12 billion is required to bring Britain’s roads up to a standard where no immediate repair is necessary
- The Government raises £33 billion through tax on petrol each year yet allocates none of this revenue to road maintenance
- 18% of Britain’s roads are classed as being in poor condition
- 70% of people are dissatisfied with the state of UK roads
Today: MCN Motor Cycle News is counting on you
MCN Motor Cycle News needs your help with “Rt Hon Patrick McLoughlin MP: Save our roads!”. Join MCN Motor Cycle News and 3,255 supporters today.