1. More animals are lost on the 4th of July than any other day of the year. The 5th of July is historically the busiest day of the year for animal shelters all across the country.
2. Fireworks often cause nesting birds to abandon their nests. Officials with the Morro Bay Chamber of Commerce have opted for a laser light show for the city’s Fourth of July celebration instead of fireworks in order to avoid disturbing breeding Western Snowy Plovers on the beach.
3. Fireworks can be toxic to humans. Depending on the effect sought, fireworks produce smoke and dust that contain various heavy metals, sulfur-coal compounds and other noxious chemicals. Barium, for instance, is used to produce brilliant green colors in fireworks displays, despite being poisonous and radioactive. Copper compounds are used to produce blue colors, even though they contain dioxin, which has been linked to cancer. Cadmium, lithium, antimony, rubidium, strontium, lead and potassium nitrate are also commonly used to produce different effects, even though they can cause a host of respiratory and other health problems. Do we really want the heavy metal fall-out from fireworks in our ocean, on our coastline, in our rivers?
4. Fireworks contribute to environmental pollution. The chemicals and heavy metals used in fireworks also take their toll on the environment, sometimes contributing to water supply contamination and even acid rain. Their use also deposits physical litter on the ground and into water bodies for miles around.
5. The explosive sound of fireworks can terrify pets. 2% of cats and only 15-20% of dogs entering shelters are ever reunited with their families.
If you are concerned about the impact of fireworks displays on our North Coast community, please sign this petition to urge the Fort Bragg City Council to follow Moro Bay's example of having an annual laser light show rather than a fireworks display.
Note: Here's an excerpt from an email sent by a local Fort Bragg beach walker:
"I was on the Noyo Harbor Beach Sunday morning after the fireworks - it was pretty filthy - littered with with firework casings and more."
There are so many reasons to sign and share this petition. Thanks to all who help us evolve as a safe, healthy, and conscious community!
For more info on laser light shows go to: http://www.laserist.org/guide-to-laser-shows.htm
Nesting Snowy Plover photo used with permission by photographer, Larry Wan
- Fort Bragg City Council
Replace July 4th fireworks show with laser show
Laurie York started this petition with a single signature, and now has 364 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.