Remove the 2014 Ice Hockey World Championship from Belarus
This petition had 1,608 supporters
We believe the IIHF should suspend its plan to hold the 2014 IIHF World Championship in Belarus because today Belarus finds itself in the most alarming human rights crisis since the country became an independent state in 1991.
The human rights situation in the country has never been worse and continues to deteriorate.
To hold the 2014 IIHF World Championship in Belarus would support and legitimatise a regime which violates the human rights of the people of Belarus in an alarming way.
We urge the IIHF and the representatives of the national IIHF member organisations to support the victims of human rights violations by removing the 2014 IIHF World Championship from Belarus.
The 2014 IIHF World Championship should only take place in Belarus after the Government of Belarus has:
- released all political prisoners unconditionally
- introduced a moratorium or abolished the death penalty
- stopped the use of violence, ill-treatment and torture against peaceful protestors and prisoners
- abolished criminal code article 193.1
- ensured the registration of independent NGOs and democratic political parties in a fair, impartial and transparent manner
- stopped the persecution, harassment and intimidation of dissidents
- fully rehabilitated all those prosecuted for political reasons
Today: Don't play with the dictator is counting on you
Don't play with the dictator needs your help with “Remove the 2014 Ice Hockey World Championship from Belarus”. Join Don't play with the dictator and 1,607 supporters today.