REMOVE A CHEMICAL FROM PET PRODUCTS THAT HAS SHOWN TO HARM OR KILL OUR PETS
This petition had 6,221 supporters
A chemical called d-limonene has been used as a pesticide/insectiside in pet products for about 20 years or so. The EPA regulates this chemical along with the CPSC. A Registration review was started in 2010 where the EPA opened a docket EPA-HQ-OPP-2010-0673 for d-limonene Final Work Plan Registration Review January 2011 Case #3038.
This is our time as pet owners and animal lovers to stand up for our companion pets and tell our law makers to keep in mind how much our beloved pet's health, safety and lives mean to us.
I researched what this chemical can do to our dogs and cats because my dogs were both sickened. Below are just a handful of studies among the many I found:
~Dogs experiencing epidermal necrosis associated with d-limoene are usually in pain and systemically ill. Anemia and liver and kidney damage may also occur. Supportive care is usually essential until the condition resolves. Severe forms of this condition are similar in severity to what is seen in third degree burn victims, with extensive skin damage resulting in skin sloughing, depression, shock, coma and often death.
In Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XIII 1999. pp.556
Muller and Kirk's Small Animal Dermatology 1995. pp.590
~Natural insecticidal dips or sprays containing citrus extract d-limonene, 50% of the 24 animal cases developed clinical signs of adverse health reactions whether or not product was used appropriately or inappropriately. 92% of animals experienced one or more of an adverse health condition. Study from Jrnl. of Veterinary Emergency Critical Care Society 2012 pp1-6
~Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis associated with flea dips containing d-limonene --Vet Hum Toxicol 1992 Feb
TEN --a life-threatening skin condition that the top layer of skin (the epidermis) detaches from the lower layers of the skin (the dermis) all over the body. Sepsis is secondary problem often fatal disease.
~Erythema Multiforme major and disseminated intravascular coagulation developed in a dog 24 hrs. following application of a d-limonene insecticidal dip. Despite intensive supportive care, the dog developed severe necrosis and widespread hemorrhage within organs and died -- J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1995 Nov.
~EPA Records over a 10 year span:Showed 544 cases of domestic animals were called in to the EPA regarding d-limonene products and domestic pets were either killed, severely harmed, moderately harmed or minor. This number probably only represents 2% because most pet owners do not call in and report.
People love their animals and they need to be made aware of these statistics to help pet owners make informed decisions regarding their pet's care. Dog and cat owners deserve to know this type of knowledge. This chemical does not have the attention it should that it is this problematic to our companion pets. An article in Media Post that states consumer spending in the U.S pet market has reached over $60 billion in 2013. This article states that part of the trend is the “natural” pet products. I am concerned because natural does not always mean harmless or safe.
Together we can demand our state law m akers to not allow for another pet to become so ill or die by discontinuing the use of d-limonene in pet products. Please help our pets safety. If a chemical is proving over and over to have risks to our pets lives, it should not be allowed.
Securing our companion pet’s health, safety and lives are very important to millions of people.
Sign this petition and be the voice for your pet and tell our government to ban this chemical from being used in pet products forever! Even one more pet dying is too many!!
Dogs and cats have such a short life span on this earth so why shorten it even more by allowing a chemical like this to be used?
Today: Laura is counting on you
Laura Hughes needs your help with “REMOVE A CHEMICAL FROM PET PRODUCTS THAT HAS SHOWN TO HARM OR KILL OUR PETS”. Join Laura and 6,220 supporters today.