Release Charter School Funding Now! And Stop Fighting to Destroy Some of the Best Public Schools in Atlanta!
Atlanta Public Schools is withholding $2.8 million from 5,000 students in public charter schools. In a few weeks, they will withhold at least $3 million more. Public charter schools will have lost more than $6 million.
- To the Atlanta Board of Education and APS Administration
Our charter schools—most of which are among the highest performing schools in Atlanta--could be destroyed if Atlanta Public Schools (APS) continues on this path. One charter school immediately shut their doors last year because of the pension funding issue, and many others may not survive.
Earlier this year, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Wendy Shoob ruled that Atlanta Public Schools was violating the law in cutting off these critical funds and ordered APS to release the money. APS has refused and is spending thousands of dollars to fight in the courts to deny these funds to charter school students---who make up 10% of all APS students.
The bottom line:
· Charter Schools work: Five out of the top 12 elementary schools in APS are charters (out of 65 schools)
· Per student funding at Public Charter Schools ranges from $8,000-$10,000 while the total spending for a traditional APS student is $18,682.
· Charter School students make up 10% of APS enrollment, yet they only receive 4.3% of total funding for APS.
· Charter Schools have grown 70% in the past four years, while overall APS enrollment has declined by 2%
· Charter Schools serve a racially and socially diverse population, and are bringing thousands of Atlanta families back to public education.
Charter schools are independent public schools within Atlanta Public Schools. They receive their funding from APS, charge no tuition, and are open to all children, just like traditional public schools.
TELL APS TO STOP STARVING THE CHARTERS OF FUNDING AND RELEASE THE FUNDS NOW!
For more information on the pension fund issue, see the article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution at http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/charters-face-cuts-after-dipute-with-school-distri/nW7P8/
Today: Grace is counting on you
Grace Burley needs your help with “Release Charter School Funding Now! And Stop Fighting to Destroy Some of the Best Public Schools in Atlanta!”. Join Grace and 1,339 supporters today.