Reduce the speed limit and increase the safety of the school zone for Magnetic Hill School
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
Magnetic Hill School is a central part of the Lutes Mountain, Berry Mills, Indian Mountain and surrounding communities and has been for decades. Families from our area who have children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and neighboring children attending Magnetic Hill School trust that their safety and wellbeing is regarded as the top priority along with providing a well-rounded and meaningful education. The geographical area surrounding Magnetic Hill School, in particular Highway 126 heading south, is cause for great concern to the citizens of these communities and requires immediate attention.
The issues that are of most concern regarding the school zone that surrounds Magnetic Hill School are:
- The blind hill immediately before Magnetic Hill School (the speed limit sign indicating 70 km/hr is at the base of that hill)
- Vehicles coming over that hill are met with school buses and passenger vehicles that are stopped or at a significantly reduced speed at the entrance to the school and are at risk of being struck by approaching vehicles operating at 70 km/hr or more
- The current speed limit of 70 km/hr is too high for a school zone
- The lack of governmental support after numerous pleas by school officials to have this addressed
With a mandate that sets out the education of our children as a key part of a successful future for New Brunswick, this government is demonstrating their commitment through investments in literacy programs, the 10-Year provincial education plan, and more. We feel the safety of our children and our families going to and from Magnetic Hill School should be a priority as well.
CALL TO ACTION
Please, let the story of the highway that runs in front of Magnetic Hill School be about changes that were made to ensure safety and not a story about tragedy, injury or worse because nobody would take the proactive step in ensuring the wellbeing of our citizens. Close calls and near misses are enough of a reason to take action.
I respectfully ask that your government champion this cause for change that will increase the safety of the children and families of Magnetic Hill School. Please, listen as we the members of this community, respectfully ask for the following changes:
1. Reduced speed limit of 50 km/h beginning at the Highway 126 and Isaiah Road intersection and ending no less than the end of the school zone limit.
2. A provincial school zone sign placed at the base of the blind hill immediately in advance of Magnetic Hill School with a flashing light drawing additional attention to the beginning of the school zone
3. Increased RCMP presence for enforcement of the new signage and speed limits.
Today: Safe School Zone 2017 for Magnetic Hill is counting on you
Safe School Zone 2017 for Magnetic Hill needs your help with “Reduce the speed limit and increase the safety of the school zone for Magnetic Hill School”. Join Safe School Zone 2017 for Magnetic Hill and 1,194 supporters today.