The Queensland Association for Healthy Communities has been stripped of its funding by the new Queensland Government.
Health Minister Lawrence Springborg has revoked every cent of the agency's $2.6 million Queensland Health funding.
This will mean an end to our health promotion work with gay men and the loss of 26 of its 35 staff.
We need your help to keep Queensland's only LGBT health agency in business.
Healthy Communities, which began as the Queensland AIDS Council in 1984, helps prevent the spread of HIV and STIs by supporting the health of gay men and the wider LGBT community.
It won international accolades last year when its rip&roll posters were removed from bus shelters.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:-
1. Join this event and invite your friends to support Healthy Communities. Tell people online how the organisation has helped you. Post pictures and video. Use the Twitter hashtag #SaveQAHC
2. Contact the Health Minister Lawrence Springborg (tel: 3234 1191
email: firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Premier Campbell Newman (tel: 3224 4500 email: email@example.com ) and your local MP ( http://apps.aec.gov.au/eSearch/LocalitySearchResults.aspx?filter=4556&filterby=Postcode ) and call for our funding to be reinstated.
3. Encourage your friends, family, colleagues and community members to take creative action.
4. Express your views online, write to newspapers, on forums, the radio, everywhere!
5. Donate to our fighting fund: www.healthycommunities.org.au
What will be lost if our funding is stopped:
- No one-to-one support about HIV & safe sex
- No HIV prevention skills building workshops
- No condom & lube distribution
- No LGBT awareness training for health & community services
- No sexual health information line
- No support for reducing or giving up cigarettes or illicit drugs
- No printed resources on HIV prevention and sexual health for gay/msm
- No social marketing campaigns like ‘rip&roll’ promoting safe sex
- No peer education or volunteering
- No outreach at pubs, clubs, events and SOPVs
- No sexual health promotion in LGBT magazines and other media
- No support to LGBT groups and networks
- No participation in LGBT community festivals
- No voice for LGBT people on HIV prevention and related LGBT health issues
Michelle Diamond started this petition with a single signature, and now has 6,960 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.