Project Trai: Carbon monoxide detector mandate
0 have signed. Let’s get to 25,000!
On February 4, 2018 a gas leak in a multi family residence in Airdrie, AB resulted in the carbon monoxide poisoning of multiple tenants, claiming the bright young life of 12 year old Trai. He and his family had just recently settled into their new residence at The Crown Shores, when his life was taken. Unfortunately, this was not the first time this building had experienced a gas leak. On June 5, 2014 the building had also been evacuated due to a gas leak. This event was a clear wake up call that gas line safety measures needed to be put in place immediately, yet they were not. A simple, effective $20 detector was never purchased, never installed for reasons unknown, never required and the result of this negligence are his mothers', his family, his friends, and his community, grieving the loss of this brilliant beautiful child. This should NEVER have happened.
We need the province of Alberta to introduce stronger legislation around carbon monoxide detectors. They must be installed in homes and buildings to the same degree that we require smoke detectors - if the property owners will not protect the people, we demand the province and the city step up!
Project Trai is an initiative started by a group of women who connected with Elysha (one of Trai's mothers) through their shared journey's in Surrogacy. Elysha has a beloved role within their sisterhood, always being the first to offer support or a little sunshine on a tough day. From the heartbreak of the utter tragedy of Trai's death, it has become evident that his death could have been prevented. We are absolutely appalled to discover the negligent carbon monoxide safety regulation currently in place. We knew that we had to try to do whatever we could to honour Trai, in support his mothers, our caring friend and her wife. Our goal is to prevent this tragedy from ever happening again in Alberta.
Today: Leah is counting on you
Leah Mikucki needs your help with “Project Trai: Carbon monoxide detector mandate in Alberta”. Join Leah and 19,730 supporters today.