Professional Educator's Creed
The current "reform" efforts in education fail to treat educators as professionals. We believe it is time for teachers to stand up for what we believe in as professional educators. Read the creed and sign here to show your commitment to being a professional educator and then use the creed to inform your practices and actions in creating great public schools!
ABOUT THE CREED:
The Educator's Creed has been developed over the last five years by concerned educators who feel that teachers need a positive vision to stand up for in their practice. It is meant to inspire and inform education professionals as well as dispel the mischaracterizations and attacks on public educators that are being pushed in the media.
SHARE YOUR STORIES AND HOW YOU WILL USE THE CREED!
Go to our Facebook page to share your stories LINK
- Professional Educators and Education Support Professionals
As a professional educator, I believe that education is a noble profession with the power to transform lives and empower human beings to thrive and improve our democratic society and diverse, changing world. I help change the world and create our future. I understand the unique privilege and accept the great responsibility that comes with this charge. To the best of my ability, I will...
• Act on the belief that all students are unique, have worth, and can improve their lives and their world.
• Support and protect the right of every student to a free, quality, public education with meaningful and equitable opportunities to learn.
• Provide an education directed toward the development of the dimensions of human potential and personality.
• Educate with the understanding that public education is the cornerstone of a free and functioning democratic society.
• Provide rich, meaningful, engaging, and challenging experiences that empower the whole person to think, communicate, and interact so they can improve their lives and the lives of others.
• Create caring, supported, and democratic learning communities that ensure the rights of all students are respected, including those who lack the means to make their needs known.
• Provide an education that strengthens respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms of all human beings.
• Eliminate ignorance and further understanding and caring.
• Advocate for the well being of students and families.
• Collaborate constructively with colleagues to improve the craft of educating and to build the learning communities that benefit the growth and development of all.
• Collaborate with our school communities and others to inform and shape healthy deliberations about the future of our schools.
• Actively resist and work to change policies and practices that devalue or harm students, the education profession, or public education.
• Exercise my professional judgment independently to benefit students.
• Never cease seeking further education for my continual growth.
Today: Andrew is counting on you
Andrew Rasmussen needs your help with “Professional Educator's Creed”. Join Andrew and 617 supporters today.