Reject the E&S Orthography; Support the DepEd Researched Ortograpiang Cuyonon
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
We, the undersigned Cuyonos from Palawan and all over the world strongly reject the Cuyonon Orthography authored by Ester Timbancaya Elphick and Virginia Howard Sohn in 2009 due to the following violations and trampling of our customs, culture, and traditions in our Cuyonon language:
1. Datu Magbanua of Borneo brought the Cuyonon language from Panay in 1250. Elphick and Sohn claim that the Cuyonon Orthography has 19 letters with one glottal stop and four vowels. How can we spell CUYO, DATU MAGBANUA and BORNEO without letters C, U and soft E? They deleted all common words with U and replaced them with O. They deleted all common words with E as in EGG and replaced them with I. They also removed the letter Y as an article and replaced it with I. Using Y as an article is what makes the Cuyonon language uniquely ours.
2. They also deleted all borrowed letters from Spanish and English language (C, F, J, Ñ, Q, R, V, X and Z). We use 40% of Spanish words and 10% of English words that have already assimilated into our culture. How are we going to spell the proper nouns and foreign common nouns without them?
3. They replaced our way of writing with ridiculous spelling. It will confuse our school children, bastardize our language and make us a laughing stock all over the world. For instance:
CABUI/KABWI - KABOI
CELL PHONE - SILPON
DUGO - DOGO
GURURANGAN - GORORANGAN
HU HU HU - HO HO HO
MAESTRO - MAISTRO
TELEPONO - TILIPONO
TUBIG - TOBIG
PUEDE/PWEDE - POIDI
4. Elphick and Sohn’s support group is allegedly pressuring the DepEd to teach their Cuyonon Orthgraphy in schools in Palawan. WE STRONGLY REJECT THE ELPHICK AND SOHN CUYONON ORTHOGRAPHY! WE DENOUNCE THE BASTARDIZATION OF CUYONON LANGUAGE. WE INVOKE OUR RIGHTS under the Philippine Constitution of 1987 Section 17, Article XIV; the Indigenous Peoples Rights Act R. A. 8371 Section 16, and the NCIP Administrative Order No. 01 series of 2012 that protect the rights, culture and tradition of the Indigenous People.
5. We support the Cuyonon Orthography that was researched by DedEd Palawan. It implements the Provincial Ordinance 1795 Series of 2017, “Ang Alpabeto Y Ang Cuyonon with 28 letters and five vowels a, e, i, o, u in the Orthography. We want to use the letters C, U, soft E and all letters that were removed by Elphick and Sohn without the knowledge and consent of the Cuyono people.
We hope to hear your consideration and positive response.
Very truly yours,
LINA MEDIATRIX F. BEROY
Lead Petitioner with all the Cuyonon Signatories in this document
Cc: Hon. Vice-Governor V. Dennis M. Socrates
and the Members of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan
Hon. Vice-Mayor Maria Nancy M. Socrates
and the Members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod of Puerto Princesa
The Municipal Mayors of Cuyo and Magsaysay
and the members of the Sangguniang Bayan
Engr. Roldan V. Parangue
NCIP Provincial Director
Today: Medy is counting on you
Medy Feria Beroy needs your help with “Please reject the Elphick and Sohn Cuyonon Orthography and support the implementation of the DepEd research on Ortograpiang Cuyonon”. Join Medy and 510 supporters today.