1. The PetSmart website clearly states that "bully breeds" and specifically pit-bull breeds, any mixes with such, or any dogs with the appearance of being so may not participate in their Doggie Day Camp for the safety of store personal and others.
2. Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) does not address the real problem with aggressive and dangerous dogs: bad owners.
3. Any dog is dangerous if treated badly or raised to be aggressive. Stigmatizing specific breeds doesn't protect anyone and results in the unfair and untimely death of innumerable dogs each year.
4. There is also a serious inconsistency in the policy. It is up to the individual stores to decide whether or not to allow bully breeds in the doggy day care. However, you welcome them in your store, your vet clinic, and your grooming center. If it were truly a matter of safety we feel that the rules would be applied consistently.
5. Supporting stereotypes of dangerous breeds and enforcing these policies adds to the problem and is not a productive use of energy or influence from a company that claims to love animals.
The page containing their polic: http://pets.petsmart.com/services/petshotel/doggie-day-camp/day-camp-requirements/
Gabrielle Johnson started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,411 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.