- Prime Minister of India
PETITION IN SUPPORT OF LOK AYUKTA BILL AGAINST CORRUPTION IN INDIA
Corruption has now become a serious issue and has pervaded all walks of life in India. A group of concerned Indians under the banner of ‘Indians against Corruption’ and under the leadership of Anna Hazare are asking the Government of India to bring out a people’s Lok Pal bill. This bill called as the Jana Lok Pal Bill and Jan Lok Ayukta bill has been crafted by Justice Santosh Hegde, Prashanth Bhushan, Arvind Kejriwal and team.
Now that the Governmnet has agreed to present a Bill in the Parliament before August 15th, we hope that a strong Bill will be passed and there will be a ray of hope to see a corruption free India.
- Prime Minister of India
Here is a brief description of the goals of the Bill proposed by respected Anna Hazare and many prominent citizens of India:
Salient features of Jan Lokpal Bill
Drafted by Justice Santosh Hegde, Prashant Bhushan and Arvind Kejriwal, this Bill has been refined on the basis of feedback received from public on website and after series of public consultations. It has also been vetted by and is supported by Shanti Bhushan, J M Lyngdoh, Kiran Bedi, Anna Hazare etc. It was sent to the PM and all CMs on 1st December. However, there is no response.
1. An institution called LOKPAL at the centre and LOKAYUKTA in each state will be set up
2. Like Supreme Court and Election Commission, they will be completely independent of the governments. No minister or bureaucrat will be able to influence their investigations.
3. Cases against corrupt people will not linger on for years anymore: Investigations in any case will have to be completed in one year. Trial should be completed in next one year so that the corrupt politician, officer or judge is sent to jail within two years.
4. The loss that a corrupt person caused to the government will be recovered at the time of conviction.
5. How will it help a common citizen: If any work of any citizen is not done in prescribed time in any government office, Lokpal will impose financial penalty on guilty officers, which will be given as compensation to the complainant.
6. So, you could approach Lokpal if your ration card or passport or voter card is not being made or if police is not registering your case or any other work is not being done in prescribed time. Lokpal will have to get it done in a month’s time. You could also report any case of corruption to Lokpal like ration being siphoned off, poor quality roads been constructed or panchayat funds being siphoned off. Lokpal will have to complete its investigations in a year, trial will be over in next one year and the guilty will go to jail within two years.
7. But won’t the government appoint corrupt and weak people as Lokpal members? That won’t be possible because its members will be selected by judges, citizens and constitutional authorities and not by politicians, through a completely transparent and participatory process.
8. What if some officer in Lokpal becomes corrupt? The entire functioning of Lokpal/ Lokayukta will be completely transparent. Any complaint against any officer of Lokpal shall be investigated and the officer dismissed within two months.
9. What will happen to existing anti-corruption agencies? CVC, departmental vigilance and anti-corruption branch of CBI will be merged into Lokpal. Lokpal will have complete powers and machinery to independently investigate and prosecute any officer, judge or politician.
JAN LOKPAL BILL will act as deterrent and instill fear against corruption
Mokshagundam Jayaram started this petition with a single signature, and now has 305 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Mokshagundam is counting on you
Mokshagundam Jayaram needs your help with “PETITION IN SUPPORT OF LOK AYUKTA BILL AGAINST CORRUPTION IN INDIA”. Join Mokshagundam and 304 supporters today.