This petition is asking for debate and solutions to get better gender balance in Parliament. Currently men outnumber women 2:1 at Westminster. Our vision is a Parliament where men & women legislate the laws of our land together in roughly equal numbers. What happens in Parliament affects us all and women should be able to participate equally. The effects will ripple across society!
50:50 Parliament is an inclusive, cross party, non-partisan campaign. It has wide support not only from women but from all genders. Please sign and join thousands of men and women from across the UK who support this principle. The letter says:
"Dear Mr.Cameron and all Party Leaders, We need a more balanced House of Commons, around 50:50 men and women. Please collaborate and do something: debate and take action to make Parliament more gender balanced, like life."
- Of the 650 seats men hold 459 (71%) and women only 191 (29%), so there are 268 more men in the House of Commons.
- Inspite of women having the vote since 1918 there have only been 450 women MPs. So there are more men in Parliament right now than there have ever been women. In that time women have held only 7% of the seats.
- At the current rate it could take around 50 years for equality.
- 45 countries have proportionally more women in their Parliaments than the UK.
- The 32 million UK women make up 51% of the population. They have a breadth of experience and skills. They are a richly diverse pool of talent from which the additional 134 women MPs can emerge.
- Many reasons are given for the lack of women MPs including: Parliamentary culture, environment, working conditions, funding, media intrusion, perceptions, incumbency, family life and caring responsibilities. 50:50 is campaigning for all women, including those from many minority groups or with disabilities who face discrimination on multiple levels, this needs to be addressed.
Our world is changing we believe that it is essential that women can participate equally in crafting policies and legislation for the future.
50:50 Parliament have a clear aspiration - better gender balance, roughly 50:50 men:women MPs and Peers. We are asking Parliament for solutions.
If you would like Party leaders from across the political spectrum to examine this and sort it out, one way or another, then please join us by signing and sharing this petition.
If you believe that the views and life experience of men and women are equally important and that they should shape the future together then join us.
Nearly 100 years after women gained the right to vote it's time to aim for better gender balance in Parliament.
Sign now. Thanks.
Frances, Sadaf, Brian, Tina, Charlie and Nathalie
50:50 Parliament Team
For more information please:
- "Like" facebook.com/5050Parliament
- and follow Twitter@5050Parliament
- see www.5050Parliament.co.uk
- see YouTube: 50:50 with Paloma Faith, Gemma Arterton & Helen Pankhurst
- see Huffington Post : Gender Equality is a Human Right
We need a more balanced House of Commons, around 50:50 men and women. Please collaborate and do something: debate and take action to make Parliament more gender balanced, like life.