50:50 Parliament want women to have equal seats and equal say. Show you agree, SIGN NOW!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100,000!
In Parliament men outnumber women by more than 2:1, there are 209 women MPs and 441 men. Only 12 extra women were elected to Westminster after the 2017 general election, at this rate it will take 50 years to get a truly equal and representative Parliament.
50:50 aspire to a modern Parliament consisting of around 50% men and 50% women. Our target is clear because what gets measured gets managed. This is a majority issue, women are the majority in life but the minority in Parliament. If Parliament is inaccessible to women many others must and do face hurdles too. One way or another this needs sorting.
If you agree then say so and SIGN.
Let's build a better and more representative democracy together!
This is what our petition letter to the party leaders says:
"Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn, Vince Cable, all party leaders and Parliament,
We need a more gender balanced House of Commons, around 50:50 men and women. Please collaborate and do something: debate and take action to make Parliament more gender balanced, like life."
Our petition is not prescribing the solutions but asking those with the power to take action. This is a historic democratic deficit and institutional imbalance that needs to be addressed. An inclusive, gender balanced Parliament would lead to more responsive and informed decision making, everyone would benefit.
50:50 Parliament also aim to inspire, support and encourage political participation with our #AskHerToStand & #SignUpToStand campaigns. Let's get 116 more women to Westminster at the next election. If you know a woman who would make a good MP then ask her to stand, 50:50 is here to help, see http://www.5050parliament.co.uk/askhertostand/.
All political parties agree that a gender balanced Parliament would be better, see this video clip here, so SIGN to ask for action.
For more information and to JOIN 50:50 go to www.5050Parliament.co.uk. 50:50 Parliament is an inclusive, cross party, non-partisan campaign, it costs nothing to join up and be part of 50:50 Parliament. This historic movement for women to have political equality is free for all. By joining you show support, help raise awareness and be part of the campaign!
To read more about why this matters and the many solutions see the 50:50 Parliament submission to the Women and Equalities Select Committee Inquiry here.
Only 325 women MPs are needed for a 50:50 Parliament which amounts to 1 in every 100,000 women which is great, because clearly politics might not appeal to everyone, but it might suit 1 in 100,000 women and our country needs them.
Two comments on the petition say it all:
Helen "Apart from the obvious injustice we are in no position to under-utilise so much talent”- Helen,
“If the institution of Parliament discourages women to participate, it is the institution that needs to change.” – Malcolm.
Add your voice and make a comment on the 50:50 petition.
Join us in asking for action concerning this pressing democratic deficit.
Frances, Sadaf, Brian, Tina, Charlie and Nathalie
50:50 Key Links:
- For more information see www.5050Parliament.co.uk
- 50:50 submission to Women & Equalities Select Committee
- Become a 50:50 Ambassador - fill in the form online
- Stand to become an MP! 50:50 want to support you see #AskHerToStand
- Like - facebook.com/5050Parliament
- Follow on Twitter - @5050Parliament
- See 50:50 Films - 50:50 Parliament on YouTube
- Buy campaign merch at - 50:50 Parliament Shop
50:50 in the News:
- Parliament agrees there is a "serious democratic deficit" and #5050Parliament says "There are some great women out there, so let’s start asking them to stand" The Guardian
- The Guardian reports on launch of #5050Parliament #AskHerToStand campaign "Gender parity among MPs at risk of stalling, say women's groups"
- Cathy Newman, Channel 4 News supports #5050Parliament in The Telegraph
- 50:50 Parliament in Marie Claire #IWD2016
- 50:50 Parliament profiled in The Telegraph,
- 50:50 Parliament - Huffington Post, Evening Standard The Guardian
- 50:50 Parliament - Star on Parliamentary TV at Women & Equalities Committee Oral Evidence Session #StripTees
50:50 Key Blogs:
- Women our Parliament Still Needs You
- Following in the Footsteps of Fawcett
- Gender Equality is a Human Right, so Women Need More Seats in Parliament!
- Family Friendly Parliament
- Tax on Tampons Is the Tip of the Iceberg
- Obama says Tampon Tax Is Because ‘Men Were Making the Laws’
- Carey Mulligan Demonstrates Support for 50:50Parliament at the Premier of 'Suffragette'
- 50:50 Ambassadors Campaign Video
- Carey Mulligan supporting 50:50 Parliament at Suffragette Premier & Sisters Uncut Demo
- Paloma Faith Supporting 50:50 Parliament
- Gemma Arterton Supporting 50:50 Parliament
- MPs Supporting #5050Parliament Campaign
- #5050Parliament at Feminism in London 2015
- #5050Parliament at WOW Festival 2015
Today: Frances is counting on you
Frances Scott and the 50:50 Parliament Team needs your help with “50:50 Parliament want women to have equal seats and equal say at Westminster. Sign this petition to ask those in power to take action to ensure that Parliament is truly representative and inclusive of women. Let's build a better democracy together!”. Join Frances and 53,190 supporters today.