50:50 Parliament want women to have equal seats and equal say. Show you agree, SIGN NOW!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 75,000!
In Parliament men outnumber women by more than 2:1. Only 12 extra women were elected to Westminster in the last general election, at this rate it will take 50 years to get a truly equal and representative Parliament.
In the last 100 years over 5000 MPs have been elected but fewer than 500 were women.
50:50 aspire to a modern Parliament where women have equal seats and equal say. Our aspiration is clear because what gets measured gets managed. This is a majority issue, women are the majority in life but the minority in Parliament. If Parliament is inaccessible to women many others must and do face hurdles too. One way or another this needs sorting.
If you agree then say so and SIGN.
Let's build a better democracy together!
This is what our petition letter to the party leaders says:
"Boris Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn, Jo Swinson, all party leaders and Parliament,
We want women to have equal seats and equal say in running the country. We want the best of both, men and women, planning the future together. Please collaborate and take action to make Parliament more gender balanced, like life."
50:50 is asking those with the power to take action to solve this historic democratic deficit. It is an institutional imbalance that needs to be addressed. An inclusive, gender balanced Parliament would lead to more responsive and informed decision making, everyone would benefit.
50:50 Parliament also aim to inspire, support and encourage political participation with our #AskHerToStand & #SignUpToStand campaigns.If you know a woman who would make a good MP then ask her to stand, 50:50 is here to help, see http://www.5050parliament.co.uk/askhertostand/.
For more information and to JOIN 50:50 go to www.5050Parliament.co.uk. 50:50 Parliament is an inclusive, cross party, non-partisan campaign, it costs nothing to join up.
To read more about why this matters and the many solutions see the 50:50 Parliament submission to the Women and Equalities Select Committee Inquiry here.
Two comments on the petition say it all:
Helen "Apart from the obvious injustice we are in no position to under-utilise so much talent”- Helen,
“If the institution of Parliament discourages women to participate, it is the institution that needs to change.” – Malcolm.
Add your voice and make a comment on the 50:50 petition.
Frances, Brian, Kelly, Kirsty, Amanda and Catherine
50:50 Key Links:
- For more information see www.5050Parliament.co.uk
- 50:50 submission to Women & Equalities Select Committee
- Become a 50:50 Ambassador - fill in the form online
- Stand to become an MP! 50:50 want to support you see #AskHerToStand
- Like - facebook.com/5050Parliament
- Follow on Twitter - @5050Parliament
- See 50:50 Films - 50:50 Parliament on YouTube
- Buy campaign merch at - 50:50 Parliament Shop
50:50 in the News:
- Parliament agrees there is a "serious democratic deficit" and #5050Parliament says "There are some great women out there, so let’s start asking them to stand" The Guardian
- The Guardian reports on launch of #5050Parliament #AskHerToStand campaign "Gender parity among MPs at risk of stalling, say women's groups"
- Cathy Newman, Channel 4 News supports #5050Parliament in The Telegraph
- 50:50 Parliament in Marie Claire #IWD2016
- 50:50 Parliament profiled in The Telegraph,
- 50:50 Parliament - Huffington Post, Evening Standard The Guardian
- 50:50 Parliament - Star on Parliamentary TV at Women & Equalities Committee Oral Evidence Session #StripTees
50:50 Key Blogs:
- Women our Parliament Still Needs You
- Following in the Footsteps of Fawcett
- Gender Equality is a Human Right, so Women Need More Seats in Parliament!
- Family Friendly Parliament
- Tax on Tampons Is the Tip of the Iceberg
- Obama says Tampon Tax Is Because ‘Men Were Making the Laws’
- Carey Mulligan Demonstrates Support for 50:50Parliament at the Premier of 'Suffragette'
- 50:50 Ambassadors Campaign Video
- Carey Mulligan supporting 50:50 Parliament at Suffragette Premier & Sisters Uncut Demo
- Paloma Faith Supporting 50:50 Parliament
- Gemma Arterton Supporting 50:50 Parliament
- MPs Supporting #5050Parliament Campaign
- #5050Parliament at Feminism in London 2015
- #5050Parliament at WOW Festival 2015
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 75,000!