- Pat HerritySpringfield District Supervisor
- John CookBraddock District Supervisor
- Catherine HudginsHunter Mill Supervisor
- Gerald HylandMount Vernon Supervisor
- Penelope GrossMason District Supervisor
- Jeff C. McKayLee District Supervisor
- Linda Q. SmythProvidence District Supervisor
- John W. FoustDranesville Supervisor
- Sharon BulovaChairman
- Michael R. FreySulley District Supervisor
Put the Children First - Return the FORMER Willston School Site to the Fairfax County School Board
Petition for: PUT THE CHILDREN FIRST
The Return of the FORMER Willston School site to the Fairfax County School Board
Educating children should be our top priority.
We the constituents, do not support the construction or locating of a $125 million Human Services building at the former Willston School site. The County has a $179 million dollar deficit and should utilize current vacant office space for County human services offices.
We request that Mason District Supervisor, Penny Gross take immediate action and the necessary steps to ensure that the Board of Supervisors return the former Willston School site to the Fairfax County School Board.
- Springfield District Supervisor
- Braddock District Supervisor
- Hunter Mill Supervisor
- Mount Vernon Supervisor
- Mason District Supervisor
- Lee District Supervisor
Jeff C. McKay
- Providence District Supervisor
Linda Q. Smyth
- Dranesville Supervisor
John W. Foust
- Sulley District Supervisor
Michael R. Frey
THE RETURN OF THE FORMER WILLSTON SCHOOL SITE
TO THE FAIRFAX COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
We the undersigned residents of Fairfax County, hereby petition Fairfax County government representative, Mason District Supervisor Penny Gross, and the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, our governing body presided over by Chairman Sharon Bulova, to return the former Willston School site to the Fairfax County Public School Board and halt any plans to build a $125 million dollar Human Services Building on that site.
This petition is submitted pursuant to Article I, Section 12 of the Constitution of Virginia, for grievances and redress thereof. The petition is based on the following facts:
1. Quality education and school facilities are essential to protect and preserve the families, residents, neighborhoods and property values of Mason District.
2. Almost all Mason District schools are currently at or exceed capacity and most will exceed capacity within the next five years.
3. There will be a tremendous need for additional school capacity. The approved Bailey’s Crossroads Comprehensive Plan Amendment calls for nearly 9,000 new residences, and the proposed Seven Corners Revitalization Task Force recommendations include adding at least 5,000 new residences in Seven Corners.
4. Mason District has limited land available for school construction.
5. The property at 6131 Willston Drive was originally used as a school and was the property of the Fairfax County School Board prior to 1983.
6. The site of the former Willston School at 6131 Willston Drive is five (5) acres and is a reasonable and suitable location for a new school.
7. FCPS Superintendent Karen Garza, Mason District School Board member Sandy Evans and the Mason District Council of Community Associations have requested the return of the Willston School site for use by Fairfax County Public Schools.
8. Community residents and parents have repeatedly requested the return of the Willston site to FCPS over the past four years.
9. The Seven Corners Revitalization Task Force’s responsibilities did not include looking at school issues in the Seven Corners CBC, nor were they tasked to recommend uses for individual buildings. It is inaccurate to state that the Seven Corners Task Force approved placing an East County Government Building at the site of the former Willston School.
10. Fairfax County is facing a $179 million budget deficit. The proposed County Human Services Building would be at least 180,000 sq ft and cost at least $125 million.
11. Fairfax County has a 17% office space vacancy rate.
12. It would be more financially and organizationally prudent for Fairfax County to use/acquire vacant office space to provide for human services and for the County to return the Willston site to FCPS for the use as a school.
Therefore, be it resolved that we, the constituents, do not support the construction or locating of a Human Services building at the former Willston School site;
Therefore, be it also resolved that the County should utilize current vacant office space for county human services offices;
Therefore, be it further resolved that the Mason District Supervisor, Penny Gross, should take immediate action and the necessary steps to ensure that the Board of Supervisors return the former Willston School site to the Fairfax County School Board.
Mason District Council started this petition with a single signature, and now has 564 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Mason District Council is counting on you
Mason District Council needs your help with “Pat Herrity: Put the Children First - Return the FORMER Willston School Site to the Fairfax County School Board”. Join Mason District Council and 563 supporters today.