Rename Jordan & Terman Schools - honor role models, not California's leading Eugenicists!
This petition made change with 423 supporters!
Please support this petition to show the “PAUSD Board of Education appointed School Renaming Advisory Committee", that David Starr Jordan and Lewis Madison Terman are unacceptable role models, after whom no public school should be named, because:
- David Starr Jordan was California's leading advocate of EUGENICS, the early 20 century movement in America to create a MASTER RACE through desirable breeding, forced sterilization, deportation and immigration control, as envisioned in his 1902 Eugenics Bible: “The Blood of the Nation: A Study of the Decay of Races through the Survival of the Unfit”.
- Lewis Madison Terman, the 'father of modern IQ testing', was intensely driven to establish IQ testing to prove who in society is unfit to reproduce and should be subject to forced sterilization, especially 'feeble-minded', criminals, drunks, poor folks and all that did not hail from the Anglo-Saxon/Nordic stock that David Starr Jordan declared superior
- “Hitler and his henchmen victimized an entire continent and exterminated millions in his quest for a so-called Master Race. But the concept of a white, blond-haired, blue-eyed master race didn't originate with Hitler. The idea was created in the United States, and cultivated in California, decades before Hitler came to power. California eugenicists, through the Human Betterment Foundation that Jordan and Terman helpoed co-found, played an important, although little-known, role in the American eugenics movement's campaign for ethnic cleansing.”
- David Starr Jordan and Lewis Madison Terman were convinced that intelligence is passed on through the blood, and Dr. Jordan summarily dismissed the argument that differences in intellectual capacity are the result of opportunity and education: “To say that one race is superior to another is merely to confirm the common observation of every intelligent citizen.”
- Racial Stereotypes widen the 'Achievement Gap' according to the American Psychological Association. Research from Steele, Aronson and Spencer shows that “negative stereotypes raise inhibiting doubts and high pressure anxieties in a test takers mind, which can wreak havoc with test performance”. Our community cannot tolerate the Eugenics/racist symbolism the Jordan/Terman school names reflect as the school district is striving to close the achievement gap and provide a learning environment that is welcoming and inspiring to all students
- David Starr Jordan and Lewis Madison Terman do NOT represent the values of 21st Century Palo Alto and the mission of its Unified School District where: “every student has the opportunity and access to programs, practices, and personnel that will empower every child to attain his or her highest intellectual, creative, and social potential .” PAUSD Superintendent Dr. Max McGee
Now that the PAUSD Board of Education has appointed a "citizen advisory committee" in accordance with Board Policy 7310 we need to show the committee that the majority of PAUSD parents/students/alumni and Palo Alto residents are in full support of renaming David Starr Jordan and Lewis Madison Terman Middle Schools without delay!
Additional Background Information: Please feel free to download and share the linked pdf with more information about David Starr Jordan and why he is not an appropriate role model after whom we should name one of our Palo Alto schools.
Today: Lars is counting on you
Lars Johnsson needs your help with “Palo Alto Unified School District - Board of Education: Rename Jordan Middle School - honor a role model not a racist!”. Join Lars and 422 supporters today.