Support Peters Canyon Class 1 Trail
This petition had 337 supporters
The Peters Canyon Trail, a proposed paved Class 1 route, has been on county planning maps for decades. A continuation of the Mountains to Sea Trail which connects Back Bay with Santiago Canyon, all county agencies including Flood Control, Beaches and Park, and the Transportation Authority have signed on to move forward with this improvement.
But now this vital link is in jeopardy.
Local home owners near Peters Canyon Regional Park have complained to County Supervisors. Displaying the worst "Not in My Backyard" behavior, their spurious claims against bicyclists are killing this project. Here are the facts:
- Peters Canyon Regional Park is a public recreation asset for all our citizens, paid for by countywide tax dollars.
- The park is not a "wilderness" and bicyclists using a paved trail to traverse the park will not disturb its ambiance.
- Contrary to local claims, cyclists do not ride 35 miles an hour anywhere on Class 1 trails.
- Jamboree Road is not an alternative. The volume and speed of traffic is intimidating to new bicycle commuters.
- If Orange County is serious about encouraging Active Transportation, then connecting the Peters Canyon Trail through its namesake Park is a must.
Please sign and help us circulate the Petition to the Orange County Board of Supervisors and County Beaches and Parks Commission.
As a bicyclist and citizen of Orange County, I ask that the Supervisors and County Beaches and Parks follow through with creation of the paved Class 1 trail through Peters Canyon. Connectivity is everything in bikeway planning. Linking existing sections of the Peters Canyon Trail will exponentially increase its utility. Keep Orange County moving toward the goal of greener transportation -- approve the park Class 1 trail now.
Today: Orange County Bicycle Coalition is counting on you
Orange County Bicycle Coalition needs your help with “Orange County Residents: Support Peters Canyon Class 1 Trail”. Join Orange County Bicycle Coalition and 336 supporters today.