- Olive Garden
- Gene LeeCEO-President Darden
- Michael BeachamSVP Franchising
- Rick CardenasCFO
- Susan ConnellySVP Communications
- Doug MilanesSVP Chief Supply Chain Officer
- David GeorgeCEO-President Olive Garden
- Todd BurrowesPresident-Longhorn Steakhouse
- Tom NadelSenior Vice President Operations, Olive Garden
- Jessica DinonMedia Contact, Olive Garden
- Brian FoyePresident - Seasons 52
- John MartinPresident Capital Grille & Eddie V's
- Michael KneidingerPresident Yard House
Demand better from your chicken suppliers!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 150,000.
In the first six weeks of their lives, chickens raised for Olive Garden’s supply chain will live through the worst suffering imaginable.
They are unable to move, not only because they have been selectively bred to grow so large, so fast that their young legs cannot hold the weight, but because they are crammed inside filthy sheds with hundreds of thousands of other birds. They are forced to lay in litter soaked in excrement, and the toxic ammonia burns their feet, chest, and lungs.
How can Olive Garden’s motto be “we’re all family here,” when thousands of birds are suffering, in some cases literally to death, for its menu items? Animal abuse is not a family value.
Fortunately, there is momentum to reform this abusive industry. Restaurants such as Starbucks, Chipotle, TGI Fridays, Red Robin, and dozens of others have released comprehensive, meaningful commitments to address the welfare concerns facing chickens raised for meat. Why is Olive Garden refusing to join this positive momentum?
It’s time for Olive Garden to make a change. Please sign this petition to help us encourage the leadership at Darden, Olive Garden’s parent company, to commit to a firm plan to provide birds with more space and a clean, naturally lit environment, shift away from fast-growing breeds of birds, and eliminate live-shackle slaughter methods.
- Olive Garden
- CEO-President Darden
- SVP Franchising
- SVP Communications
- SVP Chief Supply Chain Officer
- CEO-President Olive Garden
- President-Longhorn Steakhouse
- Senior Vice President Operations, Olive Garden
- Media Contact, Olive Garden
- President - Seasons 52
- President Capital Grille & Eddie V's
- President Yard House
Chickens deserve better than the abuse they currently suffer on the farms for Darden’s supply chain. Right now, chickens destined to be sold to Olive Garden and Darden’s other brands as meat are crammed by the hundreds of thousands inside filthy, windowless sheds and forced to live for weeks in their own waste and toxic ammonia fumes. They are bred to grow unnaturally fast and often suffer from painful crippling, organ failure, and heart attacks. At the slaughterhouse, they are violently handled, painfully shocked, and cut open at the throat — often while still alive and able to feel pain.
This cruelty must stop!
I am writing to ask that Darden institute and publicly release an animal welfare policy that ensures its supplier’s farms require all of the following by 2024 at the latest:
1. Ensure 100% of chicken is produced using the standards set forth by Global Animal Partnership which address the welfare issues related to fast growing breeds, environment (including lighting, litter, and enrichments) and stocking density.
2. Ensure all chickens in the supply system be processed in a manner that avoids live-dumping and live-shackling of birds, and instead utilizes a pre-shackle multi-step controlled-atmosphere processing system that’s widely hailed as less cruel.
3. Demonstrate compliance with the above standards via third party auditing.
These changes would prevent a great deal of egregious, needless animal suffering, and it is well within your company’s ability to make them. Please adopt a rigorous animal welfare policy immediately.
The Humane League started this petition with a single signature, and now has 75,472 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: The Humane League is counting on you
The Humane League needs your help with “Olive Garden: Demand better from your chicken suppliers!”. Join The Humane League and 75,471 supporters today.