No Sanctuary Status for UTRGV: Save Federal and State Funding
This petition had 292 supporters
As the 2016 elections concluded, it became clear some challenges are going to arise as time progresses. One impacting UTRGV is the impact of declaring sanctuary status. Declaring sanctuary status would mean authorities would be prohibited from asking for your immigration status on campus.
The current situation is as follows:
- About 900 or 3% of students who attend UTRGV are considered undocumented in the eyes of the government.
- About 28,000 students are attending UTRGV
- President-Elect Donald Trump has vowed to cut federal funding to cities and universities that declare "sanctuary" status.
- Governor Greg Abbott has vowed to cut state funding to cities and universities that declare "sanctuary" status.
- There is a GOP majority in Congress and Texas Legislature .
With the current circumstances, declaring sanctuary status would not be the best move. This would cause more financial obstacles overall to the student population, faculty and staff, who rely on state or federal aid/funding for use on tuition or as a source of income (i.e. grant funded positions). Impeding the degree pathway for 97% of students is not a feasible idea.
Say NO to declaring UTRGV a sanctuary campus.
Today: One View of Many is counting on you
One View of Many needs your help with “No Sanctuary Status for UTRGV: Save Federal and State Funding”. Join One View of Many and 291 supporters today.