The water and air of this state are too precious to be haphazardly contaminated by fracking. Too many people and animals depend on our groundwater for life. The risks of contamination are too high, the benefits to fracking when we have a surplus of natural gas are too small, and our actions seal the fate for future generations.
Hydraulic fracking is one of the many environment and safety issues the global community faces. In the US, hydraulic fracking is increasing in many parts of the country. North Carolina sits on a relatively small deposit of these gases, and attempts are bing made by mining and energy companies to exploit this find. This process:
* Releases harmful toxins and chemicals into the environment, affecting groundwater, livestock, people, communities and biodiversity.
* Releases harmful gases into the environment which would affect the air and water quality and thus, would affect the health and safety of people, communities and biodiversity. This also undermines the UN and global community efforts in adapting and mitigating global warming and climate change efforts.
* If fracking is carried out in many regions of the world, then the released warming gases into the environment would certainly further worsen global warming and climate change.
* Can cause tremors or earthquakes. Cavities are made in the earth by removing this volume of gas. They could affect the well being of communities through property damagey and safety; and long term stability of terrains.
* Destroy and fragment natural environment which would further harm such as biodiversity, preserved landscapes, natural resources and communities.
* Earth is a living organism, fracting would loosen and cause fractures and leakages of the terrain/soil (which cannot be properly sealed), which would allow continuous release of unhealthy and warming gases into the environment. Even when fracking of gas shale reservoirs are completed , the loosen soil/terrain, fractures/leakages and terrain shift could further facilitate and accelerate chemical and biological reactions of such as of water, humidity, air, fossils, earth elements and bacteria to continuously produce gases. In addition, as the earth is warmed, the chemical and biological reactions could further accelerate which would further increase the amount of gases released in the environment. If fracking is carried out in many parts of the US as well as around the world, then this could added up substantially.
* Shale gas would eventually be depleted and thus, hydraulic fracking is not a solution to sustainable clean energy and economy. It is counterproductive and harmful to continue building infrastructures and way of life that could not be maintained or sustained.
* Set us farther back regarding renewable energy such as solar and wave/tidal, clean bio-fuel and energy efficiency. In addition, clean and renewable energy research, development and application are neglected in the process. Furthermore, it is hard to account for and irresponsible to further worsen environment pollution and destruction, endanger or threaten global biodiversity and communities well being and accelerate global warming and climate change.
A few suggested websites and organizarions: