- Andy SlavittActing Administrator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Patrick ConwayPrincipal Deputy Administrator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Mandy CohenChief Operating Officer & Chief of Staff, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Simon KennedyDeputy Minister of Health
- Terry LakeMinister of Health British Columbia
- Sarah HoffmanMinister of Health Alberta
- Dustin DuncanMinister of Health Saskatchewan
- Kelvin GoertzenMinister of Health Manitoba
- Eric HoskinsMinister of Health Ontario
- Gaétan BarretteMinister of Health Quebec
- Victor BoudreauMinister of Health New Brunswick
- Leo A. GlavinMinister of Health Nova Scotia
- John HaggieMinister of Health Newfoundland and Labrador
Naturopaths are not doctors: stop legitimizing pseudoscience
The purpose of this petition is to voice opposition to legitimizing naturopathy through state licensure and mandated insurance reimbursement. Naturopaths are attempting to become legally recognized as "primary care physicians" in all U.S. 50 states and become Medicare providers. This is a dangerous future.
UPDATE: This petition has expanded to include Canada, where naturopaths are also aggressively lobbying for licensure in all provinces and inclusion in healthcare programs. In Canada and the U.S., naturopathic education is shared across the border via a common accrediting agency, the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (see below). Thus, a naturopath who graduates from Bastyr in Washington state can then become licensed in Ontatio. It is only natural that opposition to NDs should be applied to all of North America.
Naturopaths are not trained similar to physicians, nurse practitioners, or physician assistants. Naturopaths are trained in a hodgepodge of antiquated methods, mystical theories, and bare-bone fundamentals of medicine.
Naturopathic students are required to master homeopathy, energy modalities, herbalism, chiropractic-like manipulations, and therapies involving heat and water. There is a strong emphasis on anti-vaccine promotion and alternative cancer treatments.
This petition concerns naturopaths who graduated from programs approved by the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education. These programs are attempting to circumvent comprehensive medical training by misrepresenting their academic rigor to lawmakers and the public.
This is our chance to make a stand against pseudoscience masquerading as legitimate medicine. Please sign this petition to show your support for blocking naturopathic licensure, scope of practice expansion, and inclusion in federal and state health care programs.
Naturopaths are not doctors, and they should not be treated as such.
Below is a list of references with data and expert opinion on naturopathic education and practice:
- Atwood, Kimball C., IV (2003). "Naturopathy: A critical appraisal". Medscape General Medicine 5 (4): 39.
- Atwood IV, Kimball. C. (2004). "Naturopathy, pseudoscience, and medicine: Myths and fallacies vs truth". Medscape General Medicine 6 (1): 33.
- Barrett, Stephen (2013). "A close look at naturopathy". QuackWatch.
- Wilson, K. (2005). "Characteristics of Pediatric and Adolescent Patients Attending a Naturopathic College Clinic in Canada". Pediatrics 115 (3): e338–e343.
- Busse, Jason W.; Wilson, Kumanan; Campbell, James B. (2008). "Attitudes towards vaccination among chiropractic and naturopathic students". Vaccine 26 (49): 6237–6243.
- Wilson, Kumanan; Mills, Ed; Boon, Heather; Tomlinson, George; Ritvo, Paul (2004). "A survey of attitudes towards pediatric vaccinations amongst Canadian naturopathic students". Vaccine 22 (3-4): 329–334.
- Mielczarek, Eugenie V.; Engler, Brian D. (2014). "Selling Pseudoscience: A Rent in the Fabric of American Medicine". Skeptical Inquirer 38.3.
- Boon, Heather S.; Cherkin, Daniel C.; Erro, Janet; Sherman, Karen J.; et al. (2004). "Practice patterns of naturopathic physicians: Results from a random survey of licensed practitioners in two U.S. States". BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine 20 (4): 14.
- "Testimony in Opposition to H. 1992 and S. 1205, An Act to Create a Board of Registration in Naturopathy". Massachusetts Medical Society. Massachusetts Medical Society.
- Downey L, et al. (2010). "Pediatric vaccination and vaccine-preventable disease acquisition: associations with care by complementary and alternative medicine providers.". Matern Child Health J. 14 (6): 922–30.
- Lipson, Peter. (2016). Naturopaths: Fake Doctors in White Coats? Forbes.
- Caulfeild, Timothy. (2013). Don't legitimize the witch doctors. National Post.
- Palmer, Brian. (2014). Quacking All the Way to the Bank: Naturopaths are winning insurance coverage for medical nonsense. Slate.
- Various authors. Naturopathy vs Science. ScienceBasedMedicine.org.
- Bellamy, Jann. (2015). 2014: Chiropractors, naturopaths and acupuncturists lose in state legislatures. ScienceBasedMedicine.org.
- Hermes, Britt. (2015). ND Confession, Part 1: Clinical training inside and out. ScienceBasedMedicine.org.
- Hermes, Britt (2015). ND Confession, Part II: The Accreditation of Naturopathic “Medical” Education. ScienceBasedMedicine.org.
- Hermes, Britt. Naturopathic Diaries.
- Michigan State Senate
- Illinois State House
- Illinois State Senate
- Massachusetts State House
- Massachusetts State Senate
- New York State Senate
- New York State House
- Acting Administrator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Principal Deputy Administrator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Chief Operating Officer & Chief of Staff, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Pennsylvania State Senate
- Minister of Health
- Deputy Minister of Health
- Minister of Health British Columbia
- Minister of Health Alberta
- Minister of Health Saskatchewan
- Minister of Health Manitoba
- Minister of Health Ontario
- Minister of Health Quebec
- Minister of Health New Brunswick
- Minister of Health Nova Scotia
Leo A. Glavin
- Minister of Health Newfoundland and Labrador
Naturopaths are not doctors & should not be licensed
Britt Marie Hermes started this petition with a single signature, and now has 8,026 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.