- Judy McGrathChairman & CEO - MTV Networks
NATIONAL PETITION TO AIR MTV EXIT CAMPAIGN
MTV has identified that the fight against Human Trafficking is about freedom. To combat human trafficking, MTV created the MTV Exit Campaign which has several great Public Service Announcements and Special Series they air in other countries but not in the United States. Instead, in the United States, they air many shows that promote the "Pimpology" of America. They advertise products made by slave labor. We call on MTV to help stop human trafficking in America as well. How can they promote trafficking in our country when they fight against it in others?
- Chairman & CEO - MTV Networks
WHEREAS, there is an ongoing human rights crisis in the United States, including:
• recruitment and “grooming” of children and women to work inside the sex
industries in strip clubs, pornography and escorting/prostitution;
• damage to body and soul from back-breaking labor, sexual, physical and
psychological abuse, debt bondage and peonage;
• poverty wages, rooted in an antiquated piece-rate pay system that hasn’t
changed significantly in nearly 30 years;
• long hours without overtime pay when work is available, unemployment and
transience when it is not;
• retaliation against workers who protest or organize to alleviate these
WHEREAS, MTV has multiple public service announcements produced through their MTV Exit campaign that air on networks in countries other than the United States, and;
WHEREAS, MTV has identified that the fight against Human Trafficking is about freedom -- about our rights as human beings to choose where we live, where we work, who our friends are, and who we love, and;
WHEREAS, MTV states that hundreds of thousands of people throughout the world have had their basic human rights taken away. They are victims of trafficking - modern-day slaves -- and criminals have forced, defrauded, or coerced them into various forms of labor, servitude or prostitution, and;
WHEREAS, MTV has several television/cable productions airing on their networks inside the United States that promote the “Pimpology” of America which encourages our youth and adult citizens to pimp out and prostitute children and young women thus promoting sex trafficking in America;
THEREFORE, I add my name and voice to those of countless American citizens calling upon MTV to immediately join with the Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking and other Anti-Human Trafficking Organizations in efforts to end exploitation of children, women and men and stop modern-day slavery in the 21st century. I am also prepared to stop patronizing MTV now, and other media and entertainment leaders in the future, should they fail to do so. I am also prepared to contact advertising sponsors of MTV to voice my opposition to their “Pimpology” entertainment format and to stop my consumption of products that those sponsors advertise on MTV networks.
Specifically, I call on MTV leaders to:
1. Stop their “Pimpology” of America by halting production of their television and cable shows that glamorize pimping, encourage pornographic sexual activity, degrade and objectify teenage girls and young women and encourage teenage boys and men to pimp out and sexually objectify girls and women.
2. Stop advertising companies and products that support labor trafficking by using trafficked victims to make their products and harvest their crops.
3. Air all available MTV Exit public service announcements on their networks within the United States to bring awareness to their viewers and fans of the devastations of Human Trafficking.
4. Work with Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking and other Anti-Trafficking Organizations to establish and enforce a human rights-based code of conduct, including zero tolerance for forced labor, servitude and commercial sex acts.
Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,920 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking is counting on you
Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking needs your help with “NATIONAL PETITION TO AIR MTV EXIT CAMPAIGN”. Join Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking and 1,919 supporters today.