It is essential that ADHD is revisited by an objective panel with an honest review of the SCIENCE and not clouded by FINANCIAL, POLITICAL, OR SPECIAL INTERESTS in order to examine the following:
1. do we have scientific evidence to support the validity of disorder
2. what is the long-term efficacy and safety of medications
3. what alternative factors (e.g., trauma, toxins, ineffective parenting/educational approaches, temperament) contribute to the development of behaviors that are attributed to ADHD
4. what non-medication approaches are available that safe and effective for improving social-emotional/behavioral wellness, including behavior that gets labelled as ADHD (inattention, impulsivity, hyperactivitiy).
5. should ADHD remain under OHI of IDEA in educational system or is there a better way to meet children's educational needs.
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- National Institute of Health (NIH)
I just signed the following petition addressed to: National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH).
Hold ADHD Consensus Conference in 2013: A follow-up to 1998 Conference.
It is essential that ADHD is revisited to determine validity of disorder, to examine the long-term efficacy and satety of medications, to review alternative factors that contribute to ADHD behaviors, review non-medication approaches that are safe and effective, and discuss whether ADHD should remain under OHI of IDEA in educational system.
Michael Gilbert PsyD started this petition with a single signature, and now has 77 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.