0 have signed. Let’s get to 75,000!

The entire world joined hands and demanded justice for the death of George Floyd due to police brutality.

Back home, the death of Tuticorin father-son duo allegedly in police custody has caused a furore across Tamil Nadu.

When George Floyd was attacked by a white man, the entire black race gathered & fought for justice. Here two of our own people were attacked & killed by shoving iron rods & lathis into their private parts by two of OUR OWN! Don’t be silent now! PLEASE! #JusticeforJayarajAndFenix

On June 19, P Jayaraj (59) and his son Fenix (31) were picked up for questioning by the cops in Sathankulam police for violating lockdown rules. The police said that the duo kept their mobile shop open during the lockdown.

They were allegedly beaten to death by the police. Fenix died at the Kovilpatti General Hospital on June 22, while his father died on June 23.

Will we and can we see law taking its course and punishing the guilty without any further delay in #Jeyaraj and #Fenix case? The culprits cannot and should not get away. A family has lost their most loved ones. Justice delayed is justice denied. #JusticeForJeyarajAndFenix

 Jayaraj along with Fenix ran a mobile shop named APJ in the town. On Friday, he closed his shop around 8:15 pm. Personnel from the Sathankulam police station, who were on patrol duty, reportedly pulled him up for running the store beyond the permitted time, and an argument took place.

On Saturday evening, the police personnel visited the shop again, and had an altercation with Jayaraj.  When Fenix intervened, both father and son were taken to the police station, and booked under several sections of the IPC, including Section 188 (disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant) and 353 (use of force to deter public servant from duty).

On Sunday, after a medical check-up, the duo was lodged in the Kovilpatti sub-jail. That evening, local residents alleged, Fenix complained of chest pain and Jayaraj had high fever. Both were taken to the Kovilpatti government hospital, where Fenix died on Monday evening and Jayaraj succumbed to respiratory illness Tuesday morning.