This petition has been started by Occupy for Animals on February 3, 2013.
Every year, at a village near Hanoi, on the 6th day of the lunar new year,
which this year is February 4, 2014 a pig is brutally chopped into two so that people can smear banknotes with its blood in the belief that it would bring luck.
The festival is known as the most brutal in the country and is condemned by many, including some who called on the government to stop the festival.
For more information, please visit: http://www.occupyforanimals.net/the-brutal-festival-at-nem-thuong-village-vietnam.html
Occupy for Animals had written and forwarded the signatures collected via our first petition (http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/ban-the-brutal-festival-at-nem-thuong-village-vietnam.html) to the president of Vietnam already four times, but received no response so that we must assume that the "festival" will be celebrated again this year.
By signing this petition, the message that you can read below and which is addressed to the president of Vietnam will be sent instantly to several Vietnamese embassies.
Thank you, in advance, for your signature and for asking your friends and family to sign this petition, too.
- Vietnamese Embassy in Dasman, Kuwait
- Vietnamese Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Vietnamese Embassy in London, United Kingdom
- Vietnamese Embassy in Moscow, Russia
- Vietnamese Embassy in Pyongyang, North Korea
- Mr Truong Tan Sang, President of Vietnam
- Vietnamese Embassy in The Hague, Netherlands
- Vietnamese Embassy in Wellington, New Zealand
- Vietnamese Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa
- Vietnamese Embassy in Madrid, Spain
- Vietnamese Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden
- Vietnamese Consulate in Bern, Switzerland
- Vietnamese Embassy in Washington DC, United States
- Vietnamese Embassy in Tokyo, Japan
- Vietnamese Embassy in Berlin, Germany
- Vietnamese Embassy in Canberra, Australia
- Vietnamese Embassy in Vienna, Austria
- Vietnamese Embassy in Bruselles, Belgium
- Vietnamese Embassy in Ottawa, Canada
- Vietnamese Consulate in Hong Kong, China
- Vietnamese Embassy in Hellerup, Denmark
- Vietnamese Embassy in Cairo, Egypt
- Vietnamese Embassy in Helsinki, Finland
- Vietnamese Embassy in Paris, France
- Vietnamese Embassy in Rome, Italy
The President of the Vietnam
Mr Truong Tan Sang
Dear Mr. President,
We wish to express our deep concern and regret about animal cruelty being conducted in the name of tradition in Vietnam.
Every year, on the 6th day of the lunar new year, Vietnamese citizens at Nem Thuong village celebrate their cruel festival, during which a pig is brutally chopped into two.
Every year, thousands of inhabitants of Nem Thuong and nearby villages gather to smear the tortured pig’s blood on their banknotes in the belief that it would bring luck in the new year. This festival, which has shocked the world, is notoriously known as the most brutal in your country and is condemned by many, including those who have already called on your government to put an end to it.
The petition that Occupy for Animals had started after the 2012 "festival" has collected 45,547 signatures so far (at date of January 10, 2014) - http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/ban-the-brutal-festival-at-nem-thuong-village-vietnam.html), the petition at change.org started in 2013 has collected 19,743 signatures - http://www.change.org/petitions/mr-truong-tan-sang-president-of-vietnam-stop-the-brutal-pig-festival-at-nem-thuong-village - and the video of the 2012 "festival" that has been uploaded to youtube has over 382,867 views.
The world knows what happens there on the 6th day of the lunar new year. And people are asking you to make sure it does not happen again on 4th of February, 2014.
What are you going to tell them, Mr. President?
No-one can adequately explain why these practices are carried out year after year – except to say they are ‘traditional’. This is, however, not a valid argument to continue these brutal practices.
We sincerely urge you, Mr. President, to abolish this violent tradition and help Vietnam redeem its image of being a humane country in the eyes of the world.
Your exemplary handling of the case of 3 army personnel who were sentenced for torturing monkeys did much to show the world that the Vietnamese Government is taking measures to ensure that animals are treated better, for which we applaud you (http://www.occupyforanimals.org/three-vietnamese-soldiers-tortured-and-skinning-alive-before-eviscerating-and-barbecuing-two-rare-monkeys.html)
We look forward to hearing that the festival at Nem Thuong has been abolished, and that those found celebrating by chopping a pig in half will be severely dealt with.
Occupy for Animals started this petition with a single signature, and now has 31,423 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.