Abandon plans to build the Kroger Town and Country at Highway 114 and Dove Road in Southlake, Texas.
This petition had 698 supporters
Kroger wants to clear-cut over 90% of the trees on a large parcel of prime real estate on the SE corner of Highway 114 and Dove Road in Southlake in order to build a large development anchored by a 100,000+ square foot Kroger Town and Country store. We oppose this development for many reasons, including:
- It will generate an estimated 10,000 vehicle trips per day in an area that is already overly congested. Highway 114 and Dove Road cannot handle the additional traffic.
- The proposed development is about 2 miles from an existing Kroger in Southlake. We are concerned that the existing store will be cannibalized by the new development. We want the existing store in Southlake to be saved. It is located at a prime Southlake location with easy access for all citizens and there are many avid shoppers at that location. We urge Kroger to renovate/improve their existing store in Southlake instead of pursuing this new development.
- The north side of Southlake (north of Highway 114) is planned as a more rural area and less intense retail development. Residents chose this location to get away from high intensity retail development for a more peaceful life. This development conflicts with our city’s master land use plan.
- The lot is currently very densely-populated with mature oak, elm, and cedar trees. The development will clear-cut approximately 90% of the trees and convert the area to a concrete parking lot.
- Southlake is already saturated with grocery stores. We do not need or want another one, especially one the size of the proposed Kroger Town and Country.
- The quality of the development is not up to the standards we are used to seeing in Southlake. For example, the development has very few, if any, desirable amenities such as walking trails, fountains, etc. that would be typical for a development of this size in Southlake.
- The development will decrease surrounding property values.
- Dove Road is used heavily by bicyclists on the weekends. The traffic generated by this development would be a danger to them.
Today: Southlake is counting on you
Southlake Citizens needs your help with “Mr. Bill Breetz: Abandon plans to build the Kroger Town and Country at Highway 114 and Dove Road in Southlake, Texas.”. Join Southlake and 697 supporters today.