Move the Gun Range!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
*Please, when you sign this petition, add a few personal words about yourself and your connection to the issue. Thank you!*
We call on the City of Issaquah and the Issaquah School District leaders to protect the physical and emotional well being of the students at Issaquah Middle School and Issaquah High School by relocating the Issaquah Sportsmen’s Club. Students, parents and teachers are concerned about the close proximity of the shooting range to these schools for the following reasons:
- The range produces excessive and distracting noise,
- There is frequent gunfire during school hours,
- Gunfire may be traumatizing for those personally affected by gun violence,
- School shootings have become more common and we must respond to this changing climate,
- Noise from the gun range could prove unsafe and confusing in an emergency situation,
- The sound of the shooting range is shocking and unpleasant for visitors,
- It desensitizes our children to the sound of gunfire,
- There is risk of harm to students from firing mistakes at the range,
- Toxins in the soil, water and air from lead at the range could pose environmental and/or health problems,
- Our community and the City have changed dramatically and this is no longer a rural area,
- The sound of gunfire makes students and parents feel unsafe,
- Students learn best when they feel safe and secure,
- Other dangerous or undesirable activities are banned near schools,
- The sound of gunfire makes some students and parents afraid of outdoor play, outdoor PE classes, sports or hiking on the trails behind the school,
- The gun range is insensitive to students; they continued shooting on the day of the recent student anti-gun violence walk out.
We appreciate the range’s special place in Issaquah’s history and commend its years of teaching gun safety. We understand that some people enjoy the sport and entertainment provided at the range. Our world and this community, however, have changed dramatically since the range’s inception and it’s time for change. Schools and shooting ranges don’t mix.
(Photo Credit: Freya Thoreson photo of IMS, KOMO News Photo taken at Issaquah Sportsman's Club, Pexels photo of school bus, GoogleEarth map)
Today: Freya is counting on you
Freya Thoreson needs your help with “Move the Gun Range! Schools and shooting ranges don’t mix.”. Join Freya and 500 supporters today.