- Mr. Warren Strange - Acting Chair Person and CEOCrime and Misconduct Commission
- Mr. John Bradley, Director GeneralDepartment of the Premier and Cabinet
- Mr. Robert Atkinson APMQueensland Commissioner of Police,Australia
- Mr. Philip ReedDirector - General, Department of Justice
- Terry WallDERM Regulator
- Mr Kelvin AndersonDirector-General, Department of Community Safety
- Hon. Vicky Darling MPMinister for Environment, Queensland
- Minister of PoliceMinister
- Mr. Jim ReevesDirector-General, Department of Environment and Resource Management
Mothers and babies shot down by Australian Policeman
When we speak of law and order, we accept that society needs it to function in a civilised manner. When traveling as a tourist to a foreign country, we put our safety in the hands of those paid to protect us and keep us free from harm. Imagine then, when a senior Queensland police officer goes on the rampage over a weekend, in the company of a young teenager, killing kangaroos, a protected native species, he is reprimanded with an Infringement Notice (as good as a slap on the wrist). Hard to imagine? Not so!
In December 2011 this incident actually happened in Queensland in Australia. About 20 kangaroos, classified as "protected" in Australia, were shot, some at point blank range, their bodies just left as they fell for locals to find whilst out for their Sunday morning exercise.
In this mob, there would have been at least 20 baby kangaroos. You can imagine the scene as these terrified babies saw their parents shot in front of them and then had to face the killer staring into the barrel of his gun, before having their tiny little lives blown apart. It is reported that only one young baby survived this bloodbath, but injured, was taken to a wildlife rescue 'carer'.
What of the Police officer you may ask? Well therein lies the problem!
If this had been a member of the public they would have been arrested and be facing trial with a very heavy fine, but not so if you are a Policeman in Queensland. SHAME!
This officer committed crimes under the LAW in Australia which is there to supposedly protect native wildlife from such ruthless attacks.
It seems however, that he only received an infringement notice.
We want Europe and the rest of the world to know what goes on in Australia to its protected native species and how little the animal welfare laws protect the very animals these laws were first written and set up, to safe guard.
Please sign our petition and send this our letter to those listed and help us to rectify this blatant 'cover-up.'
Thank you for your support. We need your signature on this petition which we will send to Tourist Agencies around the world and to all who are thinking of going to Australia. To all those who firmly believe that the policeman and teenager should be punished severely, your signature is needed so we can make sure justice is served.
- Crime and Misconduct Commission
Mr. Warren Strange - Acting Chair Person and CEO
- Department of the Premier and Cabinet
Mr. John Bradley, Director General
- Queensland Commissioner of Police,Australia
Mr. Robert Atkinson APM
- Director - General, Department of Justice
Mr. Philip Reed
- DERM Regulator
- Director-General, Department of Community Safety
Mr Kelvin Anderson
- Minister for Environment, Queensland
Hon. Vicky Darling MP
Minister of Police
- Director-General, Department of Environment and Resource Management
Mr. Jim Reeves
Regarding the incident in Booral on Queensland's Fraser Coast in mid December 2011.
I feel shocked to the core that this officer should be allowed to get away with just an infringement notice which amounts to a slap on the wrist.
I must join with the thousands of others in this matter and call for the following to be action by yourselves:-
1. The Policeman involved in this issue must be removed from his job to show that people whoever they are CANNOT get away with just a slap on the wrist and this "infringement notice." for breaking the law.
2. The Policeman involved is fined the full penalty for breaking the law namely AUD200,000 ($10,000 per kangaroo), of which it has been reported that there were some 20 adults, mostly female.
3. That a public enquiry be held into how this was allowed to happen by the authorities who are supposed to uphold the law, including DERM, the office responsible for the issuing of permits.
4. That the 16 year old teenager who was with the Policeman at the time also be charged under the same offense.
By punishing those involved sends out a very clear message to EVERYONE that if you kill a kangaroo which is a protected native species then you will pay the price.
I look forward to reading of your actions and bringing this matter to a satisfactory and right conclusion.
Australian Wildlife Protection Council started this petition with a single signature, and now has 5,344 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Australian Wildlife Protection Council is counting on you
Australian Wildlife Protection Council needs your help with “Mothers and babies shot down by Australian Policeman”. Join Australian Wildlife Protection Council and 5,343 supporters today.