- Eskil ErlandssonMinister of Rural Affairs
- Madeleine van der VeerPress Secretary to Eskil Erlandsson
- Lena EkMinister for the Environment
- Erik BratthallPress Secretary to Lena Ek
Ministers of the Swedish Government: Kick Monsanto out of Sweden
We do not want Monsanto here in Sweden.
We don’t want our food to be genetically modified.
We don't want our seeds, vegetables and fruit to be genetically modified.
We don’t want the cows, chicken and fish that we eat being fed on genetically modified food.
Why don't we want genetically modified food/products?
The issue is not whether Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) will affect human health or not - the question is rather to what extent it will affect us. A number of studies on animals are showing clear evidence that genetically modified organisms cause allergies, liver problems, sterility and even death. The truth is thus; we as human beings are being guinea pigs of products that are having severe effects on our health and we simply can not accept that.
We also cannot accept that a privately owned company whose prime objective is to make profit for its share holders gets to jeopardize the health of both the planet and its population. We want to stop Monsanto.
Eskil Erlandsson and Lena Ek, we know that you as Ministers of the Swedish Government can be brave enough to take your responsibility and once and for all ban Monsanto from Sweden!
This is why Monsanto needs to be banned:
1. Monsanto genetically modifies crops without seriously having studied the effects of such alteration of life.
We don't want to eat food that has been genetically altered.
2. Monsanto has obtained patent on many crops and seek to obtain patent on many more.
We strongly oppose that anyone, company or individual, can claim ownership of something that is a common resource sprung from the planet that we live on.
3. In Sweden, there have been test plantations of GMOs during several years. Monsanto is one of the companies behind these tests.
We demand that these tests are stopped and that Monsanto is prohibited to perform such operations in Sweden.
4. Monsanto claims that its genetically modified crops are kept under control - but now wild-living GMO plants have been found in many places.
We don’t want genetically modified plants on the loose in our ecosystems.
5. Monsanto prevents farmers from saving seeds from one year to another - and sue farmers if they plant seeds from last years harvest. Monsanto also have a track record of suing farmers because of cross pollination. It means that if a field of non-GMO crops has been contaminated with Monsanto produced seeds from another field - Monsanto sues the farmer for unlawfully growing patented crops.
We support farmers right to preserve seeds and to resist Monsanto’s corporate oppression.
6. Monsanto has heavily marketed its seeds in developing countries as “miracle seeds” and the company sells these more expensive seeds along with fertilizers and pesticides. These seeds and products cost the farmers much more than they can afford, which forces them to borrow money from banks or money lenders.
However - the crops from genetically modified seeds get destroyed by pests and weather conditions as often as natural, non-modified, seeds. The consequence has been that in for example India, thousands of farmers have committed suicide the
past years because of the debt trap they get into when having to buy the seeds, pesticides and herbicides from Monsanto or their affiliate companies.
Monsanto needs to take its responsibility and acknowledge the connection between the company's marketing strategy and the detrimental effect it has on human beings in developing countries.
7. Most Monsanto crops are designed to be resistant to Round-Up, a weed defeating herbicide. Round-Up does not only destroy weeds but also microorganisms in the soil which are essential for the ecosystem.
We want nature to be non-artificial. GMO mono farming destroys biodiversity.
8. Albert Einstein, famously said that "if the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, man would have only four years to live". The bee populations around the world are currently dying in unprecedented proportions. It is generally suspected that this has to do with the ever increasing use of pesticides (such as the Monsanto flag-ship product Round-Up). The EU has just banned the use of neonicotinoids, which is a major step forward to help the bees recover - but the rest of world needs to follow.
We believe that the bees are crucial in the inter-connected cycle of ecosystems. We will not stand quietly and watch the the obvious destruction of life forms on this planet.
9. Monsanto claims that GMO-crops is the answer to world hunger and the growing population.
We firmly oppose that GMO is the right way to eliminate world hunger. Sustainable eco farming can deliver high yields without jeopardizing human health and the the planet’s ecosystems.
Let's stand together and take back our food - one country at a time.
Sign this petition!
Welcome to join the next manifestation against Monsanto and GMOs that happens in Stockholm and in many other cities around the world on World Food Day October 12.
Klick this link for more info:
More info to each bullet point:
On health risks: http://www.responsibletechnology.org/health-risks
- Minister of Rural Affairs
- Press Secretary to Eskil Erlandsson
Madeleine van der Veer
- Minister for the Environment
- Press Secretary to Lena Ek
Dear Landsbygdsminister Eskil Erlandsson and Miljöminister Lena Ek,
I do not want Monsanto in Sweden.
I don’t want my food to be genetically modified.
I don't want seeds, vegetables and fruit in my environment to be genetically modified.
I don’t want the cows, chicken and fish that I eat being fed on genetically modified food.
I cannot accept that a privately owned company who’s prime objective is to make profit for its share holders gets to jeopardize the health of both the planet and its population.
I want to stop Monsanto.
I know that you as Ministers of the Swedish Government can be brave enough to take your responsibility and once and for all ban Monsanto from Sweden.
I believe in you!
March Against Monsanto Sweden started this petition with a single signature, and now has 14,230 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: March Against Monsanto Sweden is counting on you
March Against Monsanto Sweden needs your help with “Ministers of the Swedish Government: Kick Monsanto out of Sweden”. Join March Against Monsanto Sweden and 14,229 supporters today.