Support $10 million NY State downtown revitalization grant for New Rochelle
This petition had 1,370 supporters
The State of NY Downtown Revitalization Initiative (DRI) will invest $10 million in one community within the Mid-Hudson region to transform their downtown. The Governor’s Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Development Council (REDC) will nominate one downtown by June 30, 2016 best positioned to take advantage of the investment, based on its capacity to spur job growth and attract future private and public investment.
With New Rochelle’s pioneering community-driven downtown development program, the City is uniquely positioned to take immediate advantage of State assistance and to leverage State dollars for maximum positive impact. Indeed, New Rochelle’s central location, unrivaled transit access, respected higher educational institutions, outstanding schools, and diverse human and physical characteristics give the city significant achievable potential to be a thriving live-work-play magnet for millennials and other professionals – enhancing the competitive position of our region as a whole.
Selecting New Rochelle for the DRI offers a broader and perhaps more significant benefit, because New Rochelle’s plan can be a model for the entire State. New Rochelle presents an opportunity to invest in a demonstration project – a proof of concept – with enormous value to nearly every city in the region.
View the New Rochelle's $10 million grant application here.
Frequently asked questions by those signing the petition:
What happens once a community is selected?
The DRI team will work with the winning community to develop a strategic investment plan that will examine local assets and opportunities to build a vision for revitalization unique to that downtown. The plans will include identification of economic development, transportation, housing, and community projects that align with that vision and can be leveraged for additional investment.
Will the community be included in deciding how the $10 million is invested?
Yes. Work on the strategic investment plans will be overseen by a local DRI Planning Committee. This committee should include representatives from a number of the following interest groups and organizations:
- The REDC for the municipality’s region;
- Local and regional government officials;
- Neighborhood associations, homeowners, and renters;
- Property owners, local developers, and realtors;
- Chambers of commerce, local business associations, and business owners;
- Community foundations and community loan funds;
- Local development corporations, housing corporations, Industrial Development Agencies, and business improvement districts;
- Cultural institutions, including museums, historic sites, theaters, etc.;
- Educational institutions, including administrative and student leadership of area universities and colleges;
- Local non-profit and advocacy organizations that address quality of life (i.e. bicycle coalitions, park conservancies, arts organizations, YMCA, etc.);
- Social and public service organizations (local police, health care providers, etc.); and
- Faith-based organizations.
What are the fundamental goals for the $10 million investment?
While strategic investment plans will be individualized to ensure sustainable growth in each unique downtown, fundamental goals include:
1) Creation of an active, desirable downtown with a strong sense of place;
2) Attraction of new businesses (including “Main Street” businesses), high-paying jobs, and skilled workers;
3) Arts and cultural attractions;
4) A diverse population, with residents and workers supported by complementary housing and employment opportunities;
5) An enhanced local property tax base; and
6) Amenities to support and enhance downtown living and quality of life.
Today: NR Future is counting on you
NR Future needs your help with “Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Development Council: Support $10 million NY State downtown revitalization grant for New Rochelle”. Join NR Future and 1,369 supporters today.