McDonald's Corporation: Stop plans to build a new McDonald's in Cleveland's Ohio City neighborhood
This petition had 982 supporters
We, the undersigned residents of and visitors to the Near West Side, are vehemently opposed to the construction of a McDonald's fast food restaurant at the former Hollywood Video site at the corner of Lorain Avenue and Fulton Avenue, an intersection of massive strategic importance for the Ohio City neighborhood. The following are just a few of the reasons as to why we stand in opposition to the proposed McDonald's.
1. The overarching ethos of the McDonald's corporation runs counter to the ongoing efforts to make Ohio City an "artisan neighborhood" and a hub for food sustainability. Ohio City is arguably on the cutting edge, not only in Ohio but nationwide, with regards to support for sustainable foods initiatives. From the plethora of community gardens to the West Side Market, Ohio City stands as a symbol of food diversity, health, and sustainability, all of which challenge the traditional corporate model of food production of which McDonald's stands in the center.
2. The intersection of Lorain and Fulton Avenue is already dangerous. Standing at the corner of Lorain and Fulton, you'll find that cars and commercial vehicles regularly speed and take the corner so sharply they run over the curb. This in addition to the five bus stops, a large number of pedestrians, and many cyclists make this intersection already busy without the addition of a McD's double drive-thru.
3. McDonald's damages the health of the community, its people, and its children. Residents in urban neighborhoods deserve access to healthy, affordable food.
4. Fast food restaurants are responsible for massive amounts of litter in surrounding neighborhoods. Residents find trash in their treelawns every day, as well as on the street and in neighborhood parking lots; a new McDonald’s would be sure to exacerbate this problem. See, for one example, this article: http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2011/06/mcdonalds-starbucks-fast-food-litter
5. The intrusion of a corporate behemoth such as McDonald’s would signal a massive affront to our idea of community, in a place where that idea is held sacred. Clearly the Fulton/Lorain intersection presents a development opportunity; however, we hope for and demand a development that promises to lift our neighborhood up rather than degrade it. Quite simply, we need development that recognizes and reinforces the humanity of all our neighbors. We do not need a McDonald’s.
UPDATE: We started a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/SayNoToMcDonaldsInOhioCity
Today: krissie is counting on you
krissie wells needs your help with “McDonald's Corporation: Stop plans to build a new McDonald's in Cleveland's Ohio City neighborhood”. Join krissie and 981 supporters today.