MAZDA: Stop forcing the Lorax to sell dangerous, polluting cars. #SaveLorax
My friend The Lorax is in trouble.
You might not know me, I’m a Zozo. There used to be lots of Zozos around before cars made it too dangerous and unhealthy for us to live our lives in the streets of America’s cities and towns.
I saw something yesterday that made me really upset -- Mazda and Universal Pictures are forcing my friend The Lorax to sell people more dangerous, polluting cars. You can see their new ad here.
My friends and I are asking Mazda and Universal Pictures to remove these dishonest and deceptive advertisements and we hope you'll join us.
But first, you're probably thinking what I thought -- What happened to the Lorax I know?
Mazda, Universal Pictures, and their partners* have recently launched an advertising campaign in association with the release of the animated feature film “The Lorax,” based on the beloved book by Dr. Seuss. “The Lorax” is a wonderful story with a powerful theme about the need to protect our environment for future generations.
In these advertisements Mazda and Universal claim that a new automobile is “Certified Truffula Tree Friendly” and imply an endorsement of their product by the cherished title character of “The Lorax.” By airing these advertisements, Mazda and Universal have shamelessly turned a character who has inspired millions of children to care about their environment into a car salesman. Cars--even ones that pollute a little less--are neither kid-friendly nor good for the environment.
We are calling on Mazda, Universal Pictures, and their partners* to immediately remove any advertising that associates “The Lorax” with automobiles from all forms of media: print, television, radio, movie trailers, the internet, merchandising, etc.
Please sign our petition and tell the automobile and media industries that we are tired of being lied to about the destructive impact of cars on our world.
The Zozo and friends
* “The Lorax” themed Mazda advertisements are the result of a complex deal between Universal, Mazda, The United States EPA, Illumination Entertainment, Random House, Dr. Seuss Enterprises, and others.
See this link for more information: http://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/press_releases/2012/02/08/LA50055
- President and CEO, Mazda North American Operations
- Manager, Government & Public Affairs
- President, National Education Association
Dennis Van Roekel
- President and COO, Universal Pictures
I am writing to urge you, your companies, and your partners to immediately remove from circulation any and all advertising that uses Dr. Seuss’ character The Lorax to promote and sell Mazda automobiles.
“The Lorax” is a book that has inspired me to try and live my life in ways that will preserve our natural environment for future generations. It teaches timeless lessons about the interdependence of living things, and the dangers of greed, pollution, and wasteful practices.
In the book, an ecosystem is destroyed by a short-sighted businessman who cuts down every available Truffula Tree to fuel his factory. The main premise of your advertisement is that your new automobile is “Certified Truffula Tree Friendly” and by implication good for our environment.
Here are a few simple facts that conflict with your claim:
- According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “driving a private car is probably a typical citizen's most polluting daily activity."
- Cars have transformed our cities and towns into places full of fear and danger, especially for children.
- Automobiles account for about 37,000 fatalities annually in the U.S. and are the leading cause of death for people aged 1 to 34. Worldwide nearly 1.3 million people die annually in traffic accidents – about 3,500 people every day.
- Cars have driven wasteful low-density land-use practices worldwide, replacing countless acres of forest with parking lots, highways, and unsustainable development.
Your attempt to associate your environmentally destructive product with “The Lorax” is deceptive and misleading. I urge you to remove all advertising that connects automobiles with “The Lorax” immediately.
Today: The is counting on you
The Zozo needs your help with “MAZDA: Stop forcing the Lorax to sell dangerous, polluting cars. #SaveLorax”. Join The and 601 supporters today.