Save Inverlea Park from becoming a Fire Hall
This petition had 5,885 supporters
Dear Mayor and City Councillors of Peterborough:
Inverlea Park is one of the most cherished riverside parks in the city of Peterborough. Unfortunately, this beloved park is on a shortlist of three potential locations being considered for a new fire hall. Inverlea Park must be removed from consideration for the following compelling reasons:
● Inverlea Park provides vital green and recreational space for our growing community that includes waterfront access to the Otonabee River, mature trees, baseball diamond, basketball court, swings, playground and wide-open, restorative spaces for individuals and families.
● Inverlea Park is a historic riverside park. Founded in 1894, it is part of the Nicholls Park Trust, with a goal of providing green spaces to the people of Peterborough in perpetuity. (As noted by the plaque at the corner of Dennistoun Ave and Parkhill Rd).
● This park is protected by the Nichols Park Trust and By-law 3310 (April 30th of 1938) which explicitly states that “No part of the said lands and premises herein before described shall be subdivided or sold or used for other than park purposes or recreation grounds”.
● Building a fire hall in the park would drastically reduce the park’s size, negatively impacting its natural features and recreational offerings. During emergencies such as a pandemic, when so many of us are asked to stay confined to our homes, we require public outdoor spaces more than ever.
● Saving Inverlea Park from any development is the legal, ethical and ecological action required to keep this magnificent natural site for current and future generations of Peterborough citizens.
We urge you to bring a motion to be discussed as soon as possible by the Council and vote in favor of removing Inverlea park from the shortlist.
Friends of Inverlea Park
Today: Friends is counting on you
Friends of Inverlea Park needs your help with “Mayor of Peterborough : Save Inverlea Park from becoming a Fire Hall”. Join Friends and 5,884 supporters today.