- The Hon. Mauricio G. Domogan, Baguio City Mayor and the Baguio City CouncilOffice of the City Mayor and the City Council, Baguio City
Mayor Domogan and the Baguio City Council: Keep Burnham Park green, open and beyond the commerce of man
1. We oppose the planned concreting of portions of the Melvin Jones Football Grounds. Burnham Park is the only remaining green space in the Central Business District of Baguio City and such is essential to the well-being of the community. What the Melvin Jones Football Grounds needs is the improvement of the pitch by clearing of it of debris and the maintenance of the grass cover for the enjoyment of both local athletes and families for activities such as picnics, etc. Perhaps the funds allotted for this can be used instead to re-pave the badly dilapidated biking area.
2. We oppose the installation of gates for it will serve no practical purpose and will only be a waste of precious public funds. Security concerns may be better addressed with the addition of more security personnel and lighting.
3. We oppose both the ongoing and further commercialization of Burnham Park, including the proposed privatization of the Athletic Bowl, which must remain beyond the commerce of man for the welfare of the general public. Even the skating rink has for some time now been limited to those who can afford to either rent skates from or pay a rink fee to the concessionaire, which should be free and open to the public. The holding of the annual Market Encounter held at the biking area must also be stopped.
The renowned city planner of Baguio, Daniel Burnham, reserved the biggest piece of level land that was once known as Minac for the enjoyment of the general public, particularly those of moderate means, and to this day it serves that purpose. The park remains as the most accessible and affordable amusement facility for majority of the residents of Baguio, and is essential to their well-being. With this, it is our hope that the City Government of Baguio will keep Burnham Park green, open and beyond the commerce of man.
- Office of the City Mayor and the City Council, Baguio City
The Hon. Mauricio G. Domogan, Baguio City Mayor and the Baguio City Council
Keep Burnham Park green, open and beyond the commerce of man
Karlo Marko Altomonte started this petition with a single signature, and now has 7,150 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.