MAXIMUM penalty for Wiggins/ Pickard case of animal cruelty in Manistee County Michigan.
This petition had 1,769 supporters
Back in 2013 Wanda and Maxwell Wiggins had 50 dogs seized from them due to neglectful conditions. Many of the dogs were covered in feces and housed outside in poor conditions. Many of the dogs were heart-worm positive, had whip-worm, and round-worm and were skin and bones. Some of the dogs died and many others were shipped to rescues and to the local shelter. The Wiggins were slapped with a $400.00 fine TOTAL, no jail time or any other form of restitution. Saving and treating these dogs was a small fortune for our local shelter and other rescues. Currently (2015) the daughter of Wanda and Maxwell Wiggins and her husband are being charged with felony animal cruelty charges for 30 MORE sick, starving, and ill dogs. This family tradition of cruelty needs to end at this generation! We the people of Manistee County are asking that Brittannie and Darrin be charged the MAXIMUM penalty for Animal Cruelty according to Michigan State law.
(d) If the violation involved 10 or more animals or the person had 2 or more prior convictions for violating subsection (2), the person is guilty of a felony punishable by 1 or more of the following and may be ordered to pay the costs of prosecution:
(i) Imprisonment for not more than 4 years.
(ii) A fine of not more than $5,000.00.
(iii) Community service for not more than 500 hours.
(5) The court may order a person convicted of violating subsection (2) to be evaluated to determine the need for psychiatric or psychological counseling and, if determined appropriate by the court, to receive psychiatric or psychological counseling. The evaluation and counseling shall be at the defendant's own expense.
(6) This section does not prohibit a person from being charged with, convicted of, or punished for any other violation of law arising out of the same transaction as the violation of this section.
(7) The court may order a term of imprisonment imposed for a violation of this section to be served consecutively to a term of imprisonment imposed for any other crime including any other violation of law arising out of the same transaction as the violation of this section.
(8) As a part of the sentence for a violation of subsection (2), the court may order the defendant to pay the costs of the care, housing, and veterinary medical care for the animal, as applicable. If the court does not order a defendant to pay all of the applicable costs listed in this subsection, or orders only partial payment of these costs, the court shall state on the record the reason for that action.
(9) As a part of the sentence for a violation of subsection (2), the court may, as a condition of probation, order the defendant not to own or possess an animal for a period of time not to exceed the period of probation. If a person is convicted of a second or subsequent violation of subsection (2), the court may order the defendant not to own or possess an animal for any period of time, including permanent relinquishment of animal ownership.
(10) A person who owns or possesses an animal in violation of an order issued under subsection (9) is subject to revocation of probation if the order is issued as a condition of probation. A person who owns or possesses an animal in violation of an order issued under subsection (9) is also subject to the civil and criminal contempt power of the court, and if found guilty of criminal contempt, may be punished by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or by a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.
We the people insist that they be held accountable for their actions and face the Maximum penalty of 4 years in Prison, a $ 5000.00 fine, and 500 hours of community service. We also request that Brittannie and Darrin Wiggins-Pickard PERMANENTLY be barred from owning ANY animals and should be required to pay ALL of the hospital/ housing/ and treatment for ALL the dogs that were in their care. The crime of animal cruelty effects our community in many negative ways and will not be accepted or tolerated by our community!
Today: candace is counting on you
candace oleniczak needs your help with “Manistee County Prosecuting Attorney: MAXIMUM penalty for Wiggins/ Pickard case of animal cruelty in Manistee County Michigan.”. Join candace and 1,768 supporters today.