Maclean's Magazine: Add an “Ethical Investment Ranking” in your next annual Universities Report
This petition had 10,401 supporters
Canadian Universities are proud to claim they are on the cutting edge of sustainability education and research to solve global problems. However, together Canadian Universities are investing billions of dollars in unsustainable and unethical industries we think students would have a problem with.
Universities are investing in:
• Fossil fuel companies that contribute greatly to climate change.
• Mining companies who operate in developing counties, often contributing to violent conflict.
• Companies who have been accused of poor labour practices, child labour and using sweatshops
• Tobacco companies
• Companies with manufacturing process that expose employees to dangerous toxins.
• Companies that manufacture weapons
• and many others.
If Maclean's includes an ethical investment ranking then students will have the opportunity to choose a university operating in line with their values.
If you believe that it is hypocritical to boast sustainable education yet continue to be investing in an unsustainable future, please join us in adding your signature to our petition.
This goal is attainable! Universities care about how they are perceived in the Maclean's report. It is our hope that this ranking will make Universities think twice about where they invest. Due to mounting public pressure, universities have divested from tobacco, and some universities are starting to look into ethical investment. Students have the right to know how their future university is investing its money.
Today: Elysia is counting on you
Elysia Petrone needs your help with “Maclean's Magazine: Add an “Ethical Investment Ranking” in your next annual Universities Report”. Join Elysia and 10,400 supporters today.