Low sexual desire is not a disease. Stop FDA approval of Flibanserin.
This is a petition to advocate against FDA approval for Flibanserin, a so-called ‘female Viagra’ recently produced by the drug company Boehringer Ingelheim. It is extremely important that the FDA does not approve Flibanserin, because this new drug:
1. offers only TRIVIAL benefits to women's sexual lives, as shown in the company's clinical trials.
2. might have serious ADVERSE EFFECTS when marketed to a large population.
3. comes with an AGGRESSIVE MARKETING campaign to convince women that sexuality is located in the brain, and that low sexual desire suggests chemical imbalances in the brain.
4. contributes to UNDERMINING and CONCEALING social and cultural issues that lead to women's problems with sexual desire.
5. tends to pathologize normal sexual diversity and therefore NARROWS the ‘cultural ideal’ around female sexuality.
6. represents a classic case of the pursuit of PROFIT rather than women's sexual pleasure and scientific knowledge.
We will take this petition to the upcoming FDA hearing on Flibanserin on June 18th, 2010 as part of our grass-roots campaign of sex scholars, practitioners, and activists. We will be face-to-face with the experts and allies of Boehringer Ingelheim, a global corporation that we believe has engaged in practices of "disease-mongering" with regards to women's sexuality.
Please sign the petition and support our campaign for diverse sexualities.
We, the undersigned, have great concerns about the necessity, safety and efficacy of the proposed new drug Flibanserin. Low sexual desire is not a disease.
This seems a spurious, profit-driven effort to treat an ill-defined, non-medical disorder with a new, poorly understood medication.
We urge you to recommend against approval for the drug based on weak effectiveness data, lack of adequate safety data, and unknown mechanism of action.
Tash Wong started this petition with a single signature, and now has 642 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Tash is counting on you
Tash Wong needs your help with “Low sexual desire is not a disease. Stop FDA approval of Flibanserin.”. Join Tash and 641 supporters today.