Orange Wants Light Rail
This petition had 104 supporters
By signing below, you are joining other Orange County residents in saying YES, you SUPPORT the proposed Durham-Orange Light Rail train between Chapel Hill and Durham, along with the the environmental sustainability, economic growth, and quality of life enhancements the new transit service will provide our community.
The proposed Durham-Orange Light Rail Transit Project (DOLRT) is a 17.1 mile light rail line from UNC Hospitals to Alston Avenue in Durham. The train will connect UNC Chapel Hill and UNC Hospitals, Duke University and Duke University Hospital, North Carolina Central University, the VA Hospital, Durham’s Ninth Street shopping and entertainment district and downtown Durham, plus other major employment centers, shopping districts, park-and-ride lots, and Amtrak.
The train will run on a dedicated rail line and not on existing roads, providing fast, reliable, congestion-free commuting between Chapel Hill and Durham forever.
7 ways our light rail train will make living in Orange County even better:
- Provide a better way for UNC and UNC Hospitals' 19,082 employees and 29,135 students to reach campus each day than shuttle buses and driving.
- Prevent NC 54, US 15-501 and other area roads from becoming parking lots as UNC Chapel Hill, UNC Healthcare and the Triangle region all continue to grow.
- Decrease the negative environmental impact of automobiles.
- Make Chapel Hill and Durham more attractive to young professionals who are actively choosing communities where transit options are strong and the expense and hassle of driving are optional.
- Help our area successfully compete with Austin, Portland, Nashville, Charlotte, and other popular cities for tax-paying and job-creating employers.
- Ease traffic congestion during UNC basketball and football games.
- Give Chapel Hill residents a fast, stress-free and pleasurable way to get to shows at the DPAC, Durham Bulls games, shopping, dining and cultural events in Durham.
In 2012, 42,152 Orange County residents overwhelmingly voted “YES” to an extra one-half-cent sales tax to help pay for this train. We’ve already started paying for our light rail line from Chapel Hill to Durham. Let's make sure we get it. Help tell elected officials that ORANGE WANTS LIGHT RAIL.
Today: Orange Wants Light Rail is counting on you
Orange Wants Light Rail needs your help with “Local, State and Federal Officials: Orange Wants Light Rail”. Join Orange Wants Light Rail and 103 supporters today.