Restore 10 Hockenhall Alley (the fishermans cottage)

Restore 10 Hockenhall Alley (the fishermans cottage)

0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
At 500 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!
Nick Hall started this petition to Liverpool City Council

Just off Dale Street between Cheapside and Vernon Street, you will find  Hockenhall Alley. Still standing in the alley is one of the city’s oldest surviving late 18th century houses.

Hockenhall Alley was originally called Molyneaux Weint and number 10 is believed to be the only surviving part of a short row of 18th century houses at the south east end. It was once used as a chemist shop but has been empty for many years.The Dickensian building, which only has one small room on each floor, still has original features including a narrow timber winding staircase, a plank and batten door and lath and plaster ceilings.

No.10 Hockenhall Alley is believed to have originally formed part of a short row of houses, between the breweries and warehouses of Cheapside and Cunliffe Street, number 10, with its tiny yard, backs onto Cheapside’s Rose and Crown pub.

In 1808 Liverpool Corporation decided that they needed to widen Dale Street, as the town began to develop and in the 1863 book, Recollections of Old Liverpool, 1863, by ‘A Nonagenarian’ the author says;

“Great difficulties were constantly thrown in the way of alterations by many of the inhabitants, who had lived in their old houses, made fortunes under their roofs, and were hoping to live and die where they had been born and brought up. The most obtuse and determined man was a shoemaker who owned a small house and shop which stood near Hockenall-alley. Nothing could persuade him to go out of his house or listen to any proposition. Out he would not go, although his neighbours had disappeared and his house actually stood like an island in the midst of the traffic current.

“The road was carried on each side of his house, but there stood the cobbler’s stall alone in its glory until the authorities, roused by the indignation of the public, took forcible possession of the place and pulled the old obnoxious building about the owner’s ears. The cobbler stuck to his old house to the last, showing fight all through, with a determination and persistence worthy of a nobler cause.”

By the 19th century there were warehouses either side of number 10 which stored goods from the docks. The house however remained between its new neighbours. The house became a chemists’ until the 1950’s and later clock repairers, ‘John Nelson Limited’ that name can still be see on the door plate, but it has been empty and boarded up since John Nelson ceased to trade.

The house was given Grade II status a couple of years ago, and was described as “a rare and important survival of an exceptionally modest working class dwelling that illustrates the inner city living conditions of some of the poorest members of late 18th and early 19th century society.”

It is over 11 years since this one a kind building was given listed status yet it has been left to wither and is now literally falling to bits, so much so that it will more than likely become a danger and the council or owners will have 'no other option' than to pull it down!

I would like to see LCC take a stand and get this historically important property restored to its original former glory for the people of liverpool and its visitors to admire for years to come.

 

0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
At 500 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!